Waking to warm scented breezes and birdsong....


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Jalisco » Guadalajara
February 5th 2014
Published: February 6th 2014
Edit Blog Post

A neighborA neighborA neighbor

He's half the size of Betty...!
We arrived at the house we've rented for a few days by taxi in the dark, around 6:30am...the driver had a hard time finding the tiny street. The housekeeper hadn't arrived yet to let us in, so we watched the dawn arrive and were greeted by several hummingbirds who appear to hang out around the front door.

After the housekeeper arrived and gave us a quick tour, we climbed into bed and slept as the sun streamed through the amazing glass windows....the house is beautiful, with much colored glass, bright paint, and ceramics. The garden is tropical and shaded, and there's a sunny rooftop area too. I love how it smells here: like the best spring day....

I've made coffee...and the hammock beckons...Bill's still asleep, but a new place always feels like Christmas morning to me...so I'm eager to get out into the streets!

We spoke with an American resident of Guadalajara while waiting in the immigration line last night....she talked about the "state of war" in Mexico and was surprised we had chosen to come to Mexico at all, never mind Guadalajara...she's married to a Mexican and has lived here for 30 years, and seems to hate it....not a great intro to the city!

I went to the Wednesday street market a few blocks from here alone and then went back with Bill...we also went to the "hypermarche" and the liquor store for beer (nothing good).

We now have breakfast supplies for tomorrow, along with some small, seedy fruits that are in season now....if you can tell me what they are from the photo, I'd appreciate it!

We walked several blocks to a vegetarian restaurant for dinner, and then explored more of the neighborhood...so far we've seen busy commercial streets full of small shops and quiet residential streets.....very pleasant!

Now we're back home for a beer in the garden and an early bedtime....thus ends our first 12 hours!


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Wednesday street marketWednesday street market
Wednesday street market

It is about 5 blocks long...


6th February 2014

Mystery fruit...
Hi Lynn ! Well you sure timed your trip well. It is FREEZING here. Very cold for the Football parade today. I think your mystery fruit is guava. Be easier to tell once you open it. Have a great trip! Looking forward to lots of pictures. Well wishes, Michèle and Errol and Zeus (the puppy)
6th February 2014

Breadfruit?
Great photos - your place is awesome!
6th February 2014
Hand-painted sign

Bill
Bill be looking good.
6th February 2014

State of war?
I absolutely loved hearing about your trip so far but the lady you were talking to in the immigration line kind of scared me. Your house is beautiful and the food sounds delicious and I'll now start my prayers for your safe return. Thanks for sharing your trip with us and take care dear friend.
7th February 2014

Mystery fruit
Might they be ripe guava? Were they pink inside??
7th February 2014

I think they are guava...
but the not the pink kind...very seedy!

Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0653s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb