News from the south


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Jalisco » Guadalajara
March 2nd 2006
Published: May 28th 2006
Edit Blog Post


Hey peps!!
I hope you are all doing!! We're hanging strong with all this warmth!! haha!! Its beautiful in Guadalajara but just a bit too polluted for my liking...people hang out on the side of the roads wearing those SARS masks which is kinda freaky. School is going well, but god diggady damn theres tons a reading to do...and my brain is busting neurons!
So far we've been trying to go away for the weekends but we've only managed to go to the beach once and hopefully this weekend we will head to the mountains to see the monarc butterflies....its suppose to be amazing!! And we've watched loads of soccer...I LOVE it!! so much fun!! The games are full with loads of embiance!!
Other then that integrating into the mexicain culture has not been as easy as we expected....No one wants to talk to us. Im exagerating, but its just super uncomfortable sometime. They look at us as if we feel from the moon. Yeah, I know..the blond hair and freckles don't help! I can't say that we havent met some cool peps...cuz we have. I think they have trouble with the majority of Gringos that come here, cuz a lot of them come to live and dont ever learn spanish. There's actually a small city will barbe wire fence all around it where retired Gringos live. They never come out of that city and when they do they complain that no one speaks english. So that must have something to do with it. Sarah and I (room mate) have been trying to figure out all the possible reasons of why it is as it is, but at university the reasons are pretty obvious with the intense discussions about US and Mexico relations...ekkk!!
Car News: we've gone to a few car markets to see if we spot the car...get this...there are markets where people sell stolen cars..weirdest thing ever...but no luck. Matt wants to get a westvalia (Volkswagon) so we'll see about that later.
We also got the chance to see Manu Choa...awesome concert...really fun!! The weird thing is is we got there when it started and people were throwing beer bottles at the police inside and trying to break down the fence to come into the concert. At one point a policemen opened the gate to let some people with tickets come in and 50 people stormed in and hid in the stands...the police actually threw gas bombs at the people trying to come in.. super intense..we couldnt believe it!!
well thats about it for now...we'll try to send pics lata!!!
big kisses and tons of hugs going your ways!!!
Julie


Advertisement



Tot: 0.149s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 55; dbt: 0.1167s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb