On vacation!!


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Jalisco » Guadalajara
April 11th 2006
Published: May 10th 2006
Edit Blog Post

MarcosMarcosMarcos

sub comendente marcos at the university of Guadalajara!
Hello everyone!
I hope you are all doing well!!! Ive been super sick the last week getting over a energy devoring virus that every visitor get at some point in time....so I was doomed to begin with!!
The last few weeks has been super eventful...my emails are coming in less in less due to the mounds of school work that I have to do, and of all the extra curricular activities of drinking! haha!! No, but I DO have to try out every taquila here before I leave so Im starting early.
Here in Guadalajara we got the visit of Sub comendente Marcos....the leader of the revolutionary group of the Zapatistas. He was really interesting to see...more for the popular point of it cuz he talked more in medaphores so it was hard to get the whole gist of his speech. Right now he is going to little villages in Mexico with la otra campagna...which is a group were all the individuals are represented..indigenous, gays etc.
The weekend after we headed to Puerta Vallarta to get some more sun!!! Its an awesome place!! strongly recommended. Of course the whole hotel scene is poopy but the city itself is really cool and
wowo men?!wowo men?!wowo men?!

Normal event of having indigenous men playing music in front of the house for some change....Got to love it!!!
there is soooo much to do. We went snorkeling...clandestino!! Its super easy to go to all the hot spots but for super cheap by taking the city bus..who would have thought? Damn tourist traps cost you 50 bucks us. and we go there for 40cents. Matts parents came to join us for a few days at an all inclusive. Must admit that it does feel good to be loundge in an all inclusive for a few days. Ahh pina coladas all you can drink!!
Last weekend we took advantage of going with the geography department to a volcano...its called Paricutin. The volcano became a volcano in 1942....just kinda grew in some farmers field while he was working, and at one point it exploded! The village that was there is no longer there but there is only the church that is left...while only on bell tower and the lava dodged the chapel, so now it has become a sacred place.
And now for my vacacions...3 weeks, can you believe it!!!! Im heading to Yucatan, close to Cancun, and then heading down to check out the mexican hot spots a bit everywhere before coming back here. It should be awesome!! Ill give you guys some inside scoop a bit later!! Im gonna try and make some sort of blogs to give a you all a better grasp of what things look like and who people are!!!
take care!!
xoxox
Julie


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Crazy climbingCrazy climbing
Crazy climbing

It took us 1 hour to climb up 200 meters! For every step we took we fell 2 steps....super work out!!
On top of paricutinOn top of paricutin
On top of paricutin

We made it!! So trekky...and stinky!!
On top of paricutinOn top of paricutin
On top of paricutin

I remember this cross from when I came here when I was 6!!!
Sarah taking in the sun!Sarah taking in the sun!
Sarah taking in the sun!

My roommate on our way back to camp!
ChoorchChoorch
Choorch

The church tower and the chapel in the church are the only things remaning from the village after the volcano...CRAZY!!
Pirate boat!Pirate boat!
Pirate boat!

Puerto vallartas tourist trap, you can here them singing cheesy mexican songs...but I like the pic!
Tina and DavidTina and David
Tina and David

Tinas bday!!


Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0451s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb