Finally in Sunny Acapulco


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Guerrero » Acapulco
January 3rd 2009
Published: January 3rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

missionmissionmission

View of the courtyard of our hotel in Acapulco
Day 2 was rather uneventful, the plane arrived on time, we left on time and landed in a typical day in Acapulco. 30 Degrees and not a cloud in the sky. We excaped the gouging taxis fares just to discover no taxis would pick us up on the road outside the Airport. We decided to take a local chicken bus complete with holes in the floors and no glass in the windows. The Woman in front of us skillfully breast feeding her toddler while careening down the mountain road. Having no idea where this bus would take us we decided to debus when it turned off the main road. From there we catch a taxi that knew our hotel and said he would take us there. But two thirds of the way the driver changed his mind and told us he needed to return the cab by 3pm (a mexican Cinderella). We caught a bus the rest of the way and it still cost us less then half of what it would have cost us from the airport.

We spent some time in the main square (zocalo) watching life go by. Later we walked along the edge of the water
Neil with his back packNeil with his back packNeil with his back pack

Neil with his back pack
and watched the fisherman bring in their catch and the children fish off the dock. We saw some sword fish being butchered and sold. We happened apon an SUV mired on it´s axles with it´s wheels spinning freely in the sand while it attempted to launch it´s boat. We decided to have a seat and watch the show unfold. After 40 mins with the tide slowly rising, many beers and several broken ropes they were finally successful in prying the giant chunk of Detroit steel from the soft sandy beach. Feeling parched ourselves we purchased some beers and walked back to the hotel. We returned to the zocalo and went to our favorite restaurant and had the best chicken fajitas while watching the buskers entertain the throngs of families in the square.

Day 3
We decided to get our bus tickets to cuernavaca before heading off to the beach. We went to Disco beach (our fav. area of beach where they serve awesome margaritas) to find it was no longer there, but we did find our waiter at the establishment next door. We shared 3 margaritas and swam in the beautiful ocean. We noticed it was cleaner than we
Laura with her back packLaura with her back packLaura with her back pack

Laura with her back pack
remember it. After a long day of boat watching we decided to do the 1.5 hr walk back but half way home we had to stop for a beer. We watched fisherman haul in their nets and toss back the stingray and the pufferfish. We passed an in promptu fish market where the merchants had their fish neatly displayed by species. The only one we recognized was a small hammerhead shark.

We having some trouble adding photos we´ll try again tomorrow.

Happy new year!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Bus to CuernavacaBus to Cuernavaca
Bus to Cuernavaca

Bus to Cuernavaca


Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0372s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb