Eternal Spring


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Morelos » Cuernavaca
January 3rd 2009
Published: January 3rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

We´ve added photo´s to our previous blogs if you want a peek.

Day 4 was a travel day to Cuernavaca. We had a great bus (no chickens allowed). It was air conditioned and we watched 2 movies. Although it cost $60.00 CDN we were glad we didn´t drive because it would have cost us $50.00 in tolls. We settled into Hotel Colonial then headed out to hang out at the zocalo. We thought we found great seats till Neil got crapped on by a bird. We looked up and the trees over head were filled with pigeons. We promptly move to safer grounds. Later while leaving the same square Neil was crapped on again. Laura found this hilarious! Welcome to Cuernavaca. In the evening we watched the most amazing rap dancers bust some moves. Like a scene right out of Stepping Up.

Day 5
For breakfast we tried a little hole in the wall run by 3 mexican women. The gorditas were only a $1.00 each so we thought we would order a few. Neil ordered 1-chicken, 1-bean and 1-cheese and Laura ordered 1-chicken and 1-cheese. But we should have known by the name they were huge, gordita means large. We weren´t able to finish all of them and left 2 behind. Laura tried the cafe de Olla which translates into pressure cooked coffee, which consists of coffee and about 800 calories of caramel. We walked to the gorge. It was very romantic. We could tell by all the people making out and groping each other. Well, when in Rome! Someone have build something along the gorge but there was no information about it, only a wall and a look out tower was left. We then walked an hour (got lost once) to the Teopanzolco piramide which is located in a residential area. We had to leave at 2:00 because they were closing early for New Years Eve. On our way back to town we went through the market. It was jammed packed with goods and people. We returned to the hotel and read and relaxed till 9:00. We went back out to the zocalo but were dissappointed and surprised that the square was dead.

Day 6
We originally planned to go to Cotes' Palace, Borda Gardens and some piramide outside of town but everything was closed because it was New Years day. So we walked 1.5 hr to Cuernavaca´s largest park. We saw crocodiles, lots of different birds and huge trees. We sat and rested our feet and were entertained by the kids having a great time in the paddle boat splashing each other. They had a large above ground aquarium with glass walls and lots of large koi fish. It was scuba without the terror. In the park we bought this round candy which was aweful and had to be spit out. It was sweet and sour and spicy in a bad way. Like a sweet tart with jalepinos. By the time we got back our dogs were barking and Laura had to do laundry so we stayed in. Laura scrubbed the laundry in the sink while Neil drank beer and read his book. Hmmmmm What's wrong with this picture?

Day 7
We went to Cortes´Palace were the museum contained dinosaur fossils to modern day artifacts. We marvelled at one of Diego Rivera´s most famous murrals. Painted in 1922 there were 8 panels spanning from Cortes arrival to the industrial revolution. This one is for you Crystal! Laura´s neice Crystal wanted to come with us on this trip but was unable to. Every restaurant we go to we wonder what she could possibly eat, seeing as she´s a vegeterian. We decided she would have to live off of hot cakes and tortillas. A small price to pay. With any luck she´ll be in next years blog. Next we visited some catholic churches built from dismantled piramides. Afterward we went to Jardin Broda. Beautifull gardens but not as impressive as we hoped for. While waiting for our bus Neil awkwardly avoided glancing at the womanbreast feeding across from us in the bus terminal. We then headed off to catch our bus to Toluca.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Diego Rivera´s MuralDiego Rivera´s Mural
Diego Rivera´s Mural

This one´s for Crystal
Flying ButtressFlying Buttress
Flying Buttress

This one´s for Fred


Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.04s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb