Background: The site of advanced Amerindian civilizations, Mexico came under Spanish rule for three centuries before achieving independence early in the 19th century. A devaluation of the peso in late 1994 threw Mexico into economic turmoil, triggering the worst recession in over half a century. The nation continues to make an impressive recovery. Ongoing economic and social concerns include low real wages, underemployment for a large segment of the population, inequitable income distribution, and few advancement opportunities for the largely Amerindian population in the impoverished southern states. Elections held in July 2000 marked the first time since the 1910 Mexican Revolution that the opposition defeated the party in government, the Institutional Revolutionary Party (PRI). Vicente FOX of the National Action Party (PAN) was sworn in on 1 December 2000 as the first chief executive elected in free and fair elections.
Photos from Acapulco
Blogs from Acapulco
Latest Blogs from Acapulco
- March 5th 2012 Acapulco Mordida
by Words: 664 Photos: 0
- October 4th 2011 Acapulco
by Words: 250 Photos: 0
- August 31st 2011 Back At The Casa Del Puente in Acapulco
by Words: 544 Photos: 7
- May 20th 2011 Acapulco
by Words: 332 Photos: 3
- February 4th 2011 Dec 26 Acapluco
by Words: 483 Photos: 19
- November 7th 2010 Going Loco
by Words: 2013 Photos: 32
- February 26th 2010 Acapulco's Cliff Divers By Day . . .
by Words: 365 Photos: 25
- February 26th 2010 Riding Horses at Sunset . . .
by Words: 524 Photos: 25
- February 12th 2010 Leaving the sun behind
by Words: 188 Photos: 16
- February 10th 2010 Snorkeling in Acapulco Bay . . .
by Words: 413 Photos: 25
- February 10th 2010 The Cliff Divers of Acapulco . . .
by Words: 340 Photos: 13
- February 7th 2010 What were we thinking?
by Words: 683 Photos: 24
- February 4th 2010 Yes, it's raining here...still jealous?
by Words: 467 Photos: 5
- February 2nd 2010 Living on beach time
by Words: 415 Photos: 9
- January 30th 2010 The Lagoon Tour
by Words: 419 Photos: 11
- January 28th 2010 Nirvana...Villa Nirvana, that is!
by Words: 157 Photos: 4
- January 28th 2010 A Night of Crashing Surf; a Day of Tropical Relaxation
by Words: 192 Photos: 7
- January 25th 2010 Finding Birds and Freeing Turtles . . .
by Words: 753 Photos: 25
- January 18th 2010 Acapulco Sunset Sailaway . . .
by Words: 179 Photos: 24
- January 9th 2010 Kayaking on Coyuca Lagoon . . .
by Words: 500 Photos: 23