Acapulco ..."Oh my" .....How it has Changed


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Guerrero » Acapulco
November 27th 2007
Published: November 27th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Approaching AcapulcoApproaching AcapulcoApproaching Acapulco

Del admiring Acapulco as we approach the Bay
We anchored in the Acapulco harbour early in the morning on the third day of the cruise. We only had a few hours there so to maximize our time we decided to take “ The City Tour plus the Cliff Divers” , ( an organized tour for $58.00 each , for 4 hours in “air-con” motor coach ….. and thank goodness for that …. it was about 90 degrees and SUNNY).

Most of Acapulco is just another little Mexican city, (… mind you, there are MANY new condo developments on the go on every hillside) … but the setting is spectacular, with high blue mountains in the distance and the blue and turquoise water of the ocean. After touring the city, checking the harbor and “photo spots, we went to the El Mirador Hotel with its multilevel swimming pools and white beach. From there we climbed steps to the outdoor restaurant clinging on the rocks below the diving cliff. Half a dozen young men climbed the 150-foot cliff above us. One by one they leaped off the cliff past the boulders below, and then executed perfect swan dives into the 12-foot surf, breaking on the rocks below. Their dives had to be planned to hit the deepest part of the waves. They said none of them has been killed diving off the cliffs, but dislocated shoulders and retina problems are not uncommon.

We hadn’t been in Acapulco for 23 years so we were quite happy to be “shuffled about” instead of fighting with the taxi drivers. And …“OH MY”…, how it has changed!!!! Everywhere we looked we saw the sky filled with parasailers. Seeing them brought back fond memories of our last visit there, when both Del and Tasha went parasailing over the Acapulco Bay.

I’ll post a few photos we took while we were anchored.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Anyone hungry for lunch?Anyone hungry for lunch?
Anyone hungry for lunch?

It was only 100* as we walked by these chickens sitting ( well, not exactly "sitting") ....out in the sun. Anyone hungry ?... NOT ME !!!!
Cliff DiversCliff Divers
Cliff Divers

You gotta wonder how these guys feel when they're about to jump !!!
He's decided to jump!!!He's decided to jump!!!
He's decided to jump!!!

They say shoulder dislocations are not uncommon ...yikes !!!
A  looong time ago ....1984A  looong time ago ....1984
A looong time ago ....1984

The last time we were in Acapulco (1984) Del & Tasha went parasailing over the Acapulco Bay. Seeing all the parasailers in the sky brought back pleasant memories of years past....23 to be exact.


Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0272s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb