Anchors Away !!! Leaving LA


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Los Angeles » Long Beach
November 25th 2007
Published: November 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Does anything worth while NOT have a lineup ???Does anything worth while NOT have a lineup ???Does anything worth while NOT have a lineup ???

It took awhile to board .... but it was worth it !!
Nov. 24/ 2007
I was hoping to post this blog while we were cruising … but …. due to the exorbitant $10.00 per 15 minute internet fee ( a little steep for my liking ) on the ship , I decided to wait until we arrived back in LA today to post the whole 8 days of the cruise.

Nov. 16
We left LA (actually, San Pedro dock just south of LA ) about noon. The RV was left in the dock parking lot ( at $12.00 / day fee ) so we could just walk onto the ship ….. The Norwegian Star. Well, not exactly “walk” !!! ….. more like … step, wait …..step, wait …. step, wait …. etc. etc. After about an hour of that we got on board, got our “Welcome Photo” taken, of course , and proceeded to our cabin. If we hadn’t been on other cruises we would have thought we were in one of our granddaughters doll houses. Everything there … just a little squished in !!! Very well appointed just the same.

The first two days were “ at sea” while we sailed all the way south to Acapulco. We took
The mandatory Life Jacket Drill The mandatory Life Jacket Drill The mandatory Life Jacket Drill

We didn't need to utilize this information ... Thank goodness !!! I would never have been able to find my " muster station" .... I would probably drowned first !!!!
advantage of the time to take in many of the activities on board and explore the ship ...... large & beautiful .... holds about 3000 passengers, and because of the the American Thankgiving Holiday it was almost full this trip .... with 800 kids I might add !!! ….. and at times we were well aware of them ALL !!!! The crew numbered at about 1100. We liked the “ Freestyle” platform because it doesn’t have the scheduled meal settings at particular hours ; you can get up when you please, have lunch when you please, sit with whom you please , and head for the dining room or any number of other restaurants on the ship almost at any time. Kinda suits our “ lay back ‘ style.

Things about the ship that make you go .... hmm ....
Gross Tonnage ……91,740
Overall length ………971 feet
Beam …………………105 feet
Engines ………….. Diesel Electric
Cruise Speed ……..24 knots
Restaurants ………..13
Bars and lounges …..10
Casino
Barong Spa & Fitness Center
Sports court
Swimming Pools ……2
Kids Pools …………..2
Hot tubs ……………….6
StarLight Live"Theatre"
Movie Theatre
Teen Club
Planet Kids
Internet Café …. Ya right …
... $10.00 for
Important things first !!!Important things first !!!Important things first !!!

Del checking out the fridge as soon as we get to our cabin.
15 minutes
... didn’t see many using it !!!!!



Well now that that’s outta the way ……. I’ll post some pictures of some of the things we did that first couple days on board.



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

A little snack A little snack
A little snack

Just a little "something" from the "Always On" buffet to prepare for the day ahead.
The "Java Spot" The "Java Spot"
The "Java Spot"

Checkin' out the coffee shop in the main foyer of the ship from the first balcony ....look up ....waaaay up !!!
Ice Sculpture Contest  on deck Ice Sculpture Contest  on deck
Ice Sculpture Contest on deck

Got 10 minutes ?? .... that's all the time they had to create these pieces of "art" ....on the pool deck .... in the HOT blazing sun !!!
Checkin' out the lounges !!Checkin' out the lounges !!
Checkin' out the lounges !!

Taking it easy ... one trip around the ship and it's time for a rest !!!1
Creating fruit & veggie centerpieces Creating fruit & veggie centerpieces
Creating fruit & veggie centerpieces

Another "on deck" demonstration. Can't wait to try some of the "fruit flower" center pieces at home
Chess anyone?Chess anyone?
Chess anyone?

After dinner ...a "little chess" before the evening "show" in the Starlight Theatre.
Dinner in the "Endless Summer"  dinning room. Dinner in the "Endless Summer"  dinning room.
Dinner in the "Endless Summer" dinning room.

The first of too many good meals.
A desert samplerA desert sampler
A desert sampler

Just a sample of the fancy deserts .... who could pass these up ..?? ... NOT ME !!!!
The final touch to a GREAT day !!The final touch to a GREAT day !!
The final touch to a GREAT day !!

The "Jean Anne Ryan" Troupe presents Andrew Lloyd Webbers "Music of the Night", in the Starlight Theatre ...... absolutely fabulous!!!!


Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0356s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb