Day 8 Villa Corona >> Colima >> Tecoman >> La Placita on the coast


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Colima
December 9th 2006
Published: January 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

map 8map 8map 8

Villa Corona >> Colima >> Tecoman
Day 8 Villa Corona >> Colima >> Tecoman >> La Placita on the coast
Highlights: the movie Cocoon; vulcano Colima; finally the coast; hot,heat,dust,sweat and no showers

We are packing it in today as we are leaving the hotspring, but not before a final visit in the morning. As we walk over to the hotsprings Carlo says to me "doesn't this remind you of the movie Cocoon?, lets tell the folkies that we are really 80 years old and have been coming to these hotsprings forever" I laugh, yes I think it is a great plan as we really feel kinda out of place here. I believe my D'nM are the youngest ones here so if you leave them out the average age is probably about 75.

There was not much to pack as Carlo and I were still using the hide-a-bed in the 5wheeler, made no sense to put up a tent for a night or two.

We drove ahead of D'nM once we were on the right highway towards Colima and the very active Vulcan de Colima ... http://volcano.und.edu/vwdocs/volc_images/img_colima.html ... We did see the vulcano but not the top as it was covered in either clouds
map 9map 9map 9

Tecoman >> La Placita
or maybe it was the actual smoke from being active.

After the city of Colima we drove thru some beautiful mountains where they just build about 9 brand new bridges over some deep valleys and ravines. We are not sure if you can trust the stability of these bridges after 5yrs as things just falls apart in Mexico, we see this every year in Acapulco, one year it is brand new the next it is already crumbling apart. Yep its your life on the line here everyday, if it is not the wild bulls on the road or the local food then it are the bridges.

It was early afternoon when we made it to the coast, after driving +/- 4500km and 8days on the road we finally saw the coast, but barely thru the trees. There was definitely a temperature change, in the past 8days we have been living in moderate to cool temperatures due to the elevation and being north of these mountains, but now you just knew we were not going to get cold again any time soon.

We stopped for the night at a Pemex just south of a town named La Placita. There was a good local restaurant on the edge of the parking lot and the owner spoke good English. After dinner we had a couple of drinks outside in the parking lot of the Pemex watching a beautiful bright orange red sunset and waved at the locals as they starred but eventually smiled and waved back.

The night was hot, dusty and sweaty, no not due to a man and a woman in a bed. The humidity was just unbearable, something else we will eventually would have to get used to.



Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

road 15road 15
road 15

vulcano Colima
road 16road 16
road 16

small towns to travel tru.
road 17road 17
road 17

traveling horse.
road 20road 20
road 20

Our first glims of the Pacific ocean.
road 24road 24
road 24

hey guys.
road 26road 26
road 26

Another Pemex overnight, Carlo picked up some beer from the local store.
road 30road 30
road 30

Carlo giving a beer to the gas attendent.
road 27road 27
road 27

Having a night cap after dinner and watching the sun set over the palmtrees.


Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.027s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb