Background: The site of advanced Amerindian civilizations, Mexico came under Spanish rule for three centuries before achieving independence early in the 19th century. A devaluation of the peso in late 1994 threw Mexico into economic turmoil, triggering the worst recession in over half a century. The nation continues to make an impressive recovery. Ongoing economic and social concerns include low real wages, underemployment for a large segment of the population, inequitable income distribution, and few advancement opportunities for the largely Amerindian population in the impoverished southern states. Elections held in July 2000 marked the first time since the 1910 Mexican Revolution that the opposition defeated the party in government, the Institutional Revolutionary Party (PRI). Vicente FOX of the National Action Party (PAN) was sworn in on 1 December 2000 as the first chief executive elected in free and fair elections.
Blogs from Colima
Latest Blogs from Colima
- January 31st 2011 February 1
by Words: 638 Photos: 5
- December 4th 2010 rhythm in the blood vs taste of beer in the mouth
by Words: 429 Photos: 7
- December 1st 2010 feel it baby
by Words: 293 Photos: 4
- November 30th 2010 Cocaine and prostitutes
by Words: 684 Photos: 3
- May 5th 2010 Day One
by Words: 38 Photos: 0
- April 24th 2010 Colima & Comala, Colima
by Words: 1 Photos: 0
- April 2nd 2010 Resort Day in Manzanillo . . .
by Words: 251 Photos: 20
- March 20th 2010 Colima, COLIMA.
by Words: 1064 Photos: 23
- March 12th 2010 Colima, Mexico
by Words: 1512 Photos: 29
- February 28th 2010 Exploring Manzanillo . . .
by Words: 300 Photos: 21
- February 12th 2010 Vacationing for a Few Hours Anyway . . .
by Words: 213 Photos: 25
- January 25th 2010 San Patricio/ Maleque
by Words: 307 Photos: 1
- January 19th 2010 Snorkeling at Elephant Rock . . .
by Words: 688 Photos: 24
- January 13th 2010 Comala, COLIMA.
by Words: 846 Photos: 42
- November 24th 2009 Settling into the Spirit . . .
by Words: 785 Photos: 14
- November 16th 2009 Ending Ecstasy and Starting Spirit . . .
by Words: 488 Photos: 2
- November 10th 2009 Ancient Pyramids in Colima and Jalisco
by Words: 226 Photos: 25
- November 1st 2009 Day of the Dead in Comala
by Words: 464 Photos: 19
- November 15th 2008 Guadalajara Day 7 2008
by Words: 115 Photos: 16
- April 24th 2008 Biology field trip
by Words: 1070 Photos: 11