Background: The site of advanced Amerindian civilizations, Mexico came under Spanish rule for three centuries before achieving independence early in the 19th century. A devaluation of the peso in late 1994 threw Mexico into economic turmoil, triggering the worst recession in over half a century. The nation continues to make an impressive recovery. Ongoing economic and social concerns include low real wages, underemployment for a large segment of the population, inequitable income distribution, and few advancement opportunities for the largely Amerindian population in the impoverished southern states. Elections held in July 2000 marked the first time since the 1910 Mexican Revolution that the opposition defeated the party in government, the Institutional Revolutionary Party (PRI). Vicente FOX of the National Action Party (PAN) was sworn in on 1 December 2000 as the first chief executive elected in free and fair elections.
Blogs from Tuxtla Gutiérrez
Latest Blogs from Tuxtla Gutiérrez
- May 14th 2011 Ausflug nach Tuxtla
by Words: 98 Photos: 5
- January 26th 2011 First half of our first day in Mexico
by Words: 472 Photos: 13
- December 31st 2008 Fair Food
by Words: 172 Photos: 9
- July 24th 2008 Wonderful Oaxaca
by Words: 799 Photos: 0
- December 6th 2007 Why does the airplane play baseball?
by Words: 1507 Photos: 19
- November 30th 2007 Heading to Chiapas & Oaxaca
by Words: 206 Photos: 0
- October 19th 2007 Are my feet tanned or just dirty?
by Words: 1247 Photos: 22
- September 10th 2007 Viva Mexico
by Words: 1290 Photos: 19
- August 27th 2007 Learning to survive on a few hours sleep.
by Words: 1282 Photos: 9