Labor Day In Puerto Nuevo


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Baja California » Rosarito
September 8th 2009
Published: November 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Entering MexicoEntering MexicoEntering Mexico

San Yasidro Border crossing into Tijuana.
We put the fear in the closet about going into Baja Mexico and had a great time in one of our favorite Mexico towns. In the past year or so a major rise in kidnapping and murders were happening to many locals. We use to frequent Puerto Nuevo for a day trips with out of town friends. The quaint little town of Puerto Nuevo offers lots of the typical shops you would find in Tijuana with out the crowd and bustle of TJ and some of the best Baja style lobster feast one can imagine at amazing cheap prices.

After the rise in hideous crimes against so many, we have stayed out of Mexico and only had fond memories and day dreams of eating lobster at prices we can afford.

When our Lake Taho friends invited us to visit them in Puerto Nuevo for Labor Day weekend, we were very apprehensive and afraid to cross the border. BUT! We love and miss our friends so much we had to go if they were going to be that close to us. Only a 45min/hour drive from San Diego. I looked for any reason NOT to go. After mad research for such reasons, I only found that things have settled a bit and one should not live in fear. Advice is the same for almost every foreign county...venture with an open mind and heart but always reserve an air of caution. I found NO reason that said we should not go into Mexico.

We made it safely to the compound where our friends had rented a house on the water. It was a gated community with 24 hour security guard along the Baja coast line. I think the gated community really helped ease some worries about our safety.

We were greeted with cocktails, a sunset and a whole new group of the friendliest, fun bunch of people who all live or have a vacation home in the compound. We spent the weekend eating, drinking, enjoying the sunset, house hopping and to the wee hours. We only left the compound once for a brunch outing.

We never made into the little Puerto Nuevo village to have lobster or say hi to our old waiter friend Arturo. We will be back another day soon to feast and say hola.

Words for anyone venturing into the Baja Mexico area, go and have fun, be very cautious of your surroundings, and stay in and off the roads at night. The region still has its safety issues, but as long as you use respect and use caution, you can have a lovely time and meet lots of the nice people.


Additional photos below
Photos: 56, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Get your baja style CHEAP lobster feast here.Get your baja style CHEAP lobster feast here.
Get your baja style CHEAP lobster feast here.

We never made it in to village even though we were staying only a mile down the road.
Fresh Yellow Tail appetizerFresh Yellow Tail appetizer
Fresh Yellow Tail appetizer

Just caught that day - soak in amazing thai chili sauce. YUM!


Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 32; dbt: 0.066s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb