Out of Alaska, back to Haines Junction


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Yukon » Haines Junction
June 15th 2010
Published: June 16th 2010
Edit Blog Post

There was a lot more road construction on the Alaska side of the border than when we came through eleven days ago. Once we crossed the border back into Yukon Territory, we had more than 4 miles of loose, muddy gravel road. To make it even worse, we were stuck behind a road grader going 4 to 5 miles an hour.

After we got back onto paved road, a coyote was standing in the middle of the road, looking like it was waiting for a handout, and snapping at flies. We passed the pond where we had seen a pair of swans, one swimming and one on the nest. This time, both adults were swimming and so were their 4 babies.

At Kluane (pronounced kloo-WAN-ee) Lake, the water was a deep vibrant blue in the sunshine. The wind was quite strong and there were whitecaps on the lake and waves breaking on the shore. Further along, where the river flows into the lake, the water was paler blue and cloudy from the silt.

The campground where we've stopped for the night in Haines Junction is full. They had a caravan of campers come in unexpectedly and they are
Tetlin RefugeTetlin RefugeTetlin Refuge

along the Alaska Hwy
packed, with rigs parked every which way. The owners (and us) have had to ask some of them to move to make room for others. We have noticed a marked increase in the number of campers heading toward Alaska. I guess going early was a really good idea.

Bob and Gena's camper has a broken weld on the frame, which makes the door hard to open and close, and has the whole thing a bit skewed. Bob is going to take it in the morning to have it rewelded. These rough roads are taking a toll on our vehicles and ourselves. I think it's going to be early to bed tonight.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Police car in Destruction BayPolice car in Destruction Bay
Police car in Destruction Bay

coming down the road from either direction it looks like a real police car.


16th June 2010

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!
Ya'll have a good one!
17th June 2010
Kluane Lake

What beautiful colors and vistas, too pretty to believe even. you must be in heaven seeing all that wonder. GOD IS GREAT!!!!!

Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0308s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb