Long Day


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Quebec » Tadoussac
June 22nd 2013
Published: June 22nd 2013
Edit Blog Post

It was a really long day on the water yesterday, we logged in 139 miles in 13 hours, some of it screaming along at 17 miles an hour as opposed to our usual 9.

We didn't mean to make it such a long day but the anchorages we had picked out were not suitable for the wind warning predictions. We ended up waiting out the tide at one anchorage and carried on to a more protected place when the current was right. We can get 7-9 knots of current in our favour or against us depending on the timing of our departure. There is a lot to learn about tidal currents. We cruised at 17.3 miles an hour at one time and at 4.6 miles an hour for a while.

We enjoyed cruising by Quebec city and the Charlevoix area with it's breath taking green mountain vistas. I even have a shot of Mount St. Anne where I skied in my previous life. Lots of beautiful houses, farms and lighthouses to see.

We got up early this morning, at 4:00 to catch the right current. We were treated to whales and even a beluga as we entered the Saguenay River. One was larger than North Star. We're going to need a bigger boat came to mind. You have to make sure you stay 1200 feet away from these mammals and you can't be chasing them. Little chance of that with the current dictating how fast or slow you go.

The weather has been great so far but because the water is a cool 46.5 F, the temperature feels cool. It is 24 degrees but with the wind, it doesn't feel like it. The wind and rain warning predictions did not materialize but nonetheless, we are enjoying our break at Tadoussac Marina. We will stay put tomorrow as well to explore the town. Today was a clean up and re-provision day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



23rd June 2013

Great to follow your voyage.
Great pictures and commentary - very comfortable to follow you in the comfort of our armchairs, but not nearly so adventuresome... Smooth & Safe sailing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tot: 0.154s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0476s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb