Its not THAT cold up here..


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario
December 2nd 2014
Published: December 2nd 2014
Edit Blog Post

Okay I lied. While im writing this it is -25 outside. And yes it was also around -20 through the day. But hey u get used to it, and my host Noreen has awesome extra winter clothes for me.

I haven't updated in quite a bit cause, in the middle of nowhere the internet isn't great. Like as in ur ping in the city is 8ms and over here its 698ms. So basically a webpage takes up to 5minutes to load in the off times *rageflips computer* Anyway! that's not all that I have been doing up here ofcourse.



Lets first head way back, to my bus trip through Ontario. It was right out gorgeous, seeing how gradually the snow heaps became bigger and the fields turned into huge trees and rocky landscapes. I was in the bus for around10 hours i think, i didn't even bother to open my e-reader and just stared outside for 10 hours smiling while at it. Upon arrival it was about 9pm in the evening and it was freezing cold outside. I got out of the bus, picked up my bag and looked around for Noreen. We found each other in seconds and spend the time driving talking just about this and that. Her dog dasher was also there, and o god he barked at me for days! Thought i was some big scary monster in a blue coat.. So when we arrived at the house it was ofcourse pitch black outside so i didn't get to see much yet, Noreen has a really sweet house with a quite a bit of property around it. Or well, up here in Matheson its nothing, but it sure as hell beats any garden or yard in Holland!



So the next morning Noreen showed me the ropes of living in the middle of nowhere. She was gonna head south for a week with her sister for family things. And i was too watch the house in that week, and Pearl the dog outside (Such a cutie). We went through everything really fast since we only had till 4pm, but the main things were, watch the stove, or ur gona freeze to death, make sure u feed the dog and walk with her, And don't forget to enjoy yourself! So that's what i did the next week. It warmed up a bit too, like most days were between -15 and +5..which is nice. I walked around in the fields around the place and played with the dog, throwing snowballs that disappeared into thin air cause its damn cold. But seriously the view from the window here.. Its a snow field, trees on your left side, a creek right in front of you, and 1 house far far away. Yes i will try to add pictures, if the internet holds up a bit.



Also in this week i met George and georgette, 2 close friends from Noreen. They took me to Timmins, a place where there are like actual shops. Like a wallmart, a futureshop, A KFC, and other things. Its an hour drive though, but the surroundings were just yet again, mesmerizing. We went shopping and bought lots of different groceries. I also got to meet her daughter, and the daughter of her daughter who is an amazing ice hockey player! They invited me to go see a game of ice hockey, and seriously that was pretty cool. It was a girl team against a mixed team of guys and girls. And u know what? The girls completely kicked their asses! And Dany, the daughter from the daughter of Georgette scored a goal in like the first 3 seconds. Really damn impressive. I kinda wanted to go ice skating straight afterwards, it seemed like a really cool sport to do. After the game we went back to their house, and ate pizza, shared some more stories and then went back to Matheson.



So the day came that Noreen came back from the south, I was just watching some tv show when she called she would be there in 20 minutes or so. Then 10 minutes later she called again, and i was like are u here yet !? And Noreen said, Izzy go grab your coat and go look outside, and i was like huh what ? Well i went outside and everything explained itself. FREAKING NORTHERN LIGHTS. i mean not like the waves kinda thing, they were a really odd kind of beams and Noreen said she had never seen them before either so it was quite a rare sight. So i just stood there staring up at the sky for 15 minutes, thinking my face and fingers would freeze off, but totally worth it. And no i didn't get pictures of that, cause heck how do u wanna take a picture of that with a galaxy s4( most horrible shots in dark ever! ) Anyway, that was really cool to me. Oh did i mention btw there are like wolves, lynx's and moose's around here? Like yeah im serious. They could technically come and stalk around the woods around your house. Oh and bears, praise be the lord that they are in a nice and fuzzy hibernation mode.



Also there was a power out the second day i was alone. thought I was gonna die haha. It went out at 12am and went back on at 4am, I mean im not scared of much, but being alone in a house, in the middle of nowhere, with wolves and that kinda stuff .. lets say i wasn't feeling very comfortable those hours. Other things to mention, i introduced Noreen to orange is the new black, and we watched season 1 in 2 days. And im addicted to smores poptarts, freakin delicious! Tomorrow we are gonna head up to Timmins and do some shopping, Oh and we will eat Kfc *JEEJ*



So for a last few words. This wintery winter is totally awesome, walking kneedeep in the snow with a stick to poke your way around, accidentally walking over a swamp, fluffy sparkling snow when u see it in the sunlight. No sounds from outside aside from the occasional bird. Its a whole different kind of experience and i am loving every minute of it. The small chores are just an extra i am gladly doing, i enjoy the cooking and she seems to enjoy whatever im cooking up too! I will be staying here for several more weeks, and then ill head to Toronto. On the 29th its time to head to my uncle in mexico, which will be a nice change in weather after -25 😊 I probably forgot a ton, but i will write it in my next update. I hope everyone is okay in Holland and Fijne Sinterklaas! Hope they didn't mess it up too badly. Im headed to bed now, also i will try to respond to the mails that people have send so far, it was a horror to read them on my phone but here i can read them on a computer and properly respond! okay peace out and goodnight or goodmorning to you all

Advertisement



2nd December 2014

Aurora borealis
Stiekem zit ik hier een beetje jaloers te wezen, je hebt het noorderlicht gezien! Voor mij de reden om ooit nog eens naar het noorden van Noorwegen te willen gaan, want het schijnt een ongelofelijk bijzondere ervaring te zijn. Fijn dat je het zo naar je zin hebt bij Noreen. Ik bedacht me eerst, wel bijzonder dat ze je helemaal alleen laat in haar huis, voor hetzelfde geld ben je een volleerde dievegge...........tot ik me bedacht dat je in the middle of nowhere zit......:) Hier is het ook koud. De gevoelstemperatuur was aardig onder 0 vandaag op de heide. Duke heeft dan ook meer eten nodig, ipv een kilo vreet hij nu ruim 1250 gram per dag weg en kijkt me daarna nog verwijtend aan. Het schaatsseizoen is gelukkig weer begonnen en alsof het geen post-olympisch jaar is, wordt er hard en goed geschaatst. De Rus Pavel Khuliznikov is door mij op het schaatsforum al omgedoopt tot PafPaf Kalashnikov.....menn, wat schaatst die hard! Het zou me niets verbazen als hij bij het WK op de hooglandbaan volgend jaar als eerste man onder de 33 seconden gaat op de 500 meter!! En dus dit Canadese wereldrecord van 34.03 van Jeremy Wotherspoon eraan gaat. Leeft dat nog een beetje in Canada, speedskating? Vraag het eens aan Noreen. Noem Cindy Klassen maar als je een hele lege blik krijgt.....;) Vandaag is de verjaardag van je oma. 90 zou ze zijn geworden. We drinken hier een glaasje rode wijn op haar en als gebruikelijk heb ik ook voor haar een glaasje ingeschonken en bij een kaarsje gezet. Bizar, bijna 13 jaar is ze nog dood en ik denk nog dagelijks aan haar en ik mis haar ook nog dagelijks. Eigenlijk dien je als ouder, behalve een goede ouder te zijn als nalatenschap met name goede herinneringen na te laten. Denk ik dan zo maar heel filosofisch. Morgen ga ik weer naar Den Haag. Ik MOET heel snel een vloer hebben, anders kunnen Beau en ik nooit daar gaan wonen. Het heeft wat vertraging allemaal doordat mijn oude bank mijn geld niet vrijgeeft en ik dus niet bij mijn bouwdepot kon. Gelukkig lijkt er nu een oplossing te komen van de nieuwe bank, want ik lijd ernstig aan heimwee naar je broer en Den Haag. Beau en ik hebben de laatste keer dat ik in Den Haag was eerst bubble tea gedronken (grote yummie) en daarna Indiaas gegeten.....heerlijk! De volgende keer gaan we voor de ossenhaas met honing en pecannoten van de Chinees denk ik. Zeg Spriet, je zou eens op sporenjacht moeten daar in de sneeuw. Op zoek naar wolven en beren en lynxen.............hoewel je die laatste al in Hongarije gezien hebt. (LOL!!!!!!) Echt veel nieuws is hier niet. Zaterdag hebben Tom en ik een begrafenis; Henri (een vriend van Tom) die eind juli te horen had gekregen uitgezaaide kanker te hebben is gisteren overleden. 4 maanden heeft hij nog gehad en hij is maar 46 geworden. En het was zo'n vreselijk leuke en bijzondere man. Dus wij zijn wat in mineurstemming alhier. Vanavond gaan we maar naar de laatste aflevering van Walking Dead kijken, daar fleurt een mens van op! Overigens heeft Tom Amercan Horrorstory nog steeds niet kunnen downloaden via zijn newsgroup. Zucht. :( Wat leuk trouwens dat je met Noreen naar BitnO hebt gekeken! Hoe oud is ze eigenlijk? En heeft ze zo'n enorm houtfornuis wat het hele huis warmhoudt ofzo? En heb je al hout moeten hakken? (lees, zitten al je vingers er nog aan?) Ik moet eens wat gaan doen, de nasi van vanavond afmaken. Dag lieve dochter, take care!!!!

Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 52; dbt: 0.048s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb