Waterloo


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario » Waterloo
March 2nd 2006
Published: March 2nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Day OneDay OneDay One

Two minutes into our first walk we found this sticker on a street in LA
well we have been staying in waterloo for the past few days at sarah's house. The full canadian hospitality has been extended to us and we are having a fantastic time here. We have been able to have a bit of a rest after 27 consectutive hang-overs...just kidding, sort of.
Its great to see canada from the suburban perpective...the people here really do have there own separate identity from the US...a lot is the same but so much is different.

Sarah's mum has a spa, or jacuzzi as they call it. Its great! sitting outside with snow all around in a spa is an amazing experience...your beer gets colder as you drink it! colder as you drink it! the last little bit is icy cold..how good is that?!

We went to Niagara falls which was a definite highlight...we actually timed it really well. We got the about an hour before sun-down so we got to see it during the day..its big..such a spectacular sight. Then we went off and had dinner then went back and saw it at night...illuminated by lights...amazing...took lots of photo's.

DD: we actually went to Philthy McNasties last night...it was okay....they have $1 beers
The FoodThe FoodThe Food

yep...in and out burger...umm..we will never be the same.
but the cup is only slightly bigger than a shot galss.

Yesterday we went ice skating in the adjacent town, kitchener. There is a rink outside the town hall and its free to use....skating around, on an outside rink under the clear blue sky, in small town canada lsitening to Deep Waters by the Dirty Three on my iPod....there was no place in the world i would have rather been. Kristian was able to adapt his inline skill really quickly to ice skating and in no time at all was darting aroung the ice, skating backwards and generally showing up everybody else. He did say that stoppping is heaps different than inline, but didnt end up crashing into anyone....

puddy also got interviewed on canadian TV! while we were skating a tv crew came and asked him whether or no he thought sex offeneders should have their identity and address released to the people of the town that they are living in..apparently it has been a big issue over here at the moment. tough question to answer really......apparently the government are refusing to tell people where a person recently released from jail is living...they committed some pretty bad
Super Bowl SundaySuper Bowl SundaySuper Bowl Sunday

This was at the banana bungalow. In the fore-ground are kyle and katie...next them are some french girls..not sure of their names...oh hang on i think kristain knows :)
crimes and are now free....so if you lived here you probably would have formed an opinion about that case in particular.

other than that we have been lazing around watching DVDs and reading books. When we were in vegas with Kyle and Katie, they were telling us that there is quite a significant language barrier between aussies and canadians....at the time i was a bit unsure what they meant..now i know. SO many words that we use all the time dont make sense over here, so a quick comment turns into a full length discussion about what you just said. Puddy also speaks quite fast so tends to get a few blanks stares now and then when we meet new people. Sarah knows to just ask what the hell we are talking about 😊


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Budwesier and The BeachBudwesier and The Beach
Budwesier and The Beach

This a shot i took one afternoon in San Diego which i reckon embodies what the banana bungalow is about. Looking at the beach, drinking beer, talking shit.
The Californian DesertThe Californian Desert
The Californian Desert

In the back of the honda civic, on the way to Las Vegas, Nevada.
Everyday, Downtown VegasEveryday, Downtown Vegas
Everyday, Downtown Vegas

We woke up one morning to the sound of police cars. This was directly below our room. I'm sure it was just a misunderstanding ;)
JFK Assassination SiteJFK Assassination Site
JFK Assassination Site

The big building at the back to the leftis the Texas School Book Depository. Just in front of the left hand car in the middle lane is a white mark...this an "X" marking exactly where he was shot.
Arkansas Welcome CentreArkansas Welcome Centre
Arkansas Welcome Centre

We loved Arkansas...not a place on the top of most people travel plans when they visit the US, and thats what made it so great to see.
Big Scary BuildingBig Scary Building
Big Scary Building

This biulding overlooked the town of Hot Springs...it was visible from everywhere in the town....and nobody knew what it was!!!
BB King's Blues ClubBB King's Blues Club
BB King's Blues Club

After the place with 70 Beers on tap, this was our regular place in Memphis, Tennesee. Such a great place, with great music!
At Home With The KingAt Home With The King
At Home With The King

Graceland, Elvis Presley Blvd, Memphis Tennessee, USA. Still a highlight of the trip so far. It would have been fun to be elvis i think.
Very MontrealVery Montreal
Very Montreal

Standing in the snow in the beautiful city of Montreal, just before we went to watch the olympic hockey.
Snow, Sleet, Ice, Wind and RainSnow, Sleet, Ice, Wind and Rain
Snow, Sleet, Ice, Wind and Rain

This was the highway on the way back from montreal...a 3 lane highway becomes one pathway thru the snow...hard driving but a great experience.
Puddy at the gift ShopPuddy at the gift Shop
Puddy at the gift Shop

There is always a gift shop..this one is at the CN Tower, Toronto..puddy is well being puddy :)
View From The CN TowerView From The CN Tower
View From The CN Tower

This is the glass floor at the CN Tower. Its so weird to stand on it and look directly down at the ground 500m below..we were lucky at having a clear day to go up there.
CN TowerCN Tower
CN Tower

This is the tower that dominates the Toronto shyline....to our surprise most people in toronto actually know what it is...unlike the folks in hot springs ;)
Toronoto Marlies HockeyToronoto Marlies Hockey
Toronoto Marlies Hockey

This is the ice hockey game we saw, Toronto vs. Pittsburg. We had front row seats! So we had the best view of guys faces getting smashed into the persplex :)
Sarah and KristianSarah and Kristian
Sarah and Kristian

This is our lovely host, Sarah. She's a great chick and has looked after us so well. Puddy is looking a bit shocked for some reason.
The Boys At NiagaraThe Boys At Niagara
The Boys At Niagara

This was taken moments before we rafted down the falls...it hurt a bit but we're australia we can take it :) Actually we were disappointed the was no waterslide...seemed logical to us ;)
Niagara Falls DaytimeNiagara Falls Daytime
Niagara Falls Daytime

Truly an amazing site..absolutely loved it. There is a lot of tackiy restuarants near by which we avoided. It was so cold but its hard to walk away from something so beautiful.
Niagara Falls NighttimeNiagara Falls Nighttime
Niagara Falls Nighttime

It was equally as spectacular after sun-down.
Puddy and Sarah SkatingPuddy and Sarah Skating
Puddy and Sarah Skating

..and this was yesterday, as mentioned in the blog. We are having a great time in canada. hope everyone is well at home :)


5th March 2006

Living by myself
You know what? living by urself isn't all it's cracked up to be, it's not. The other day i woke up and lay there for a good half hour just staring at my belly button. The cooking is shit, the cat won't stop fu#c!g meowing, i think it's hungry or something. Mum and dad seem to be paying more attention to me though. The other day mum gave me a hug and said i love u ........ Pudd! Any way u boys seem to be having a ball, oh and John it's really good of u to be taking the photos while pudd posses with the girl, very considerate of u. Cheers. Boof.

Tot: 0.29s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0761s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb