Ta-Ron-O


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario » Toronto
February 27th 2006
Published: February 27th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We are back in Toronto (pronounced Ta-Ron-O)....today we went to the CN tower which was built for some sort of telecommunications interchange and is the worlds tallest free-standing building...its very tall!...on the observation deck they have a glass floor so you can see right down to the ground...its a very cool thing to do but very very disconcerting.

we loved our time in Montreal....what a great place 😊 as i have said before it was so so cold...our last night there it was -18 degrees celcius...thats cold right? yeah damn right its cold....and thats before you take into account the wind chill. So its testamanet to the town that its still so good despite the debilatating weather.

We drove back in our bronze pontiac to toronto...it took 12 hours...and it shouldnt have. We took a worng turn and ended up in Ottawa....we have mentioned previously that some americans where a little bit unfamiliar with their local geography and it seems some of their northern counterparts have the same problem....At McDonalds (its this place that sells burgers and fries and...oh hang on...i think we have that in australia too) we asked the girl how far it was to toronto and she said 2 hours...music to our ears...but her manager overheard us and said no, no, no...no....its 7, in good conditions! and these conditions.....not good...bad actually...well terrible....wind, snow, sleet, ice and rain we drove thru all of it...pretty much concurrently...easily the worst condiitons i have ever, ever driven in......4 lane highways become just 1 pathway thru the snow....it doesnt matter wheer the road lines are...just follow the pathway.

we have found that canadians have unwritten road laws (Ariane may be able to comfirm this):

the speed limit on the highways is 100km/h BUT:

if its not snowing go 120km/h
if it is snowing go 100km/h
if its really snowing go 80km/h
if visibility is zero go 60km/h

in fact its illegal to be on a lot of the highways if you are going less than 60km/h.
There are of course exceptions:

If you have had 3 hours added to you trip by 3 semi-trailers jack-knifing causing a 50 car pile upthen your speed is limited only by your cars top speed and your own disregard for your personal safety.

This is why it took 12 hours...a massive pile up and people were flying past us after we got out of the detour......we travelled 2.6km in 2 hours...it was painful.

we stayed at the coolest little hostel in montreal....it was such a great place, right on mont royal near all the nightlife and shopping....it was like your own little house...and there was lots of nice people there to tell us the best places to go out.

today we also went to see an ice hockey game which has been something that kristian has wanted to do for as long as he can remember and it was great! The toronto marlies vs another team...and toronto won! so it was great....we hope to go again before we leave the great white north.....tomorrow we are off to Niagra Falls and its only like an hour and a bit away from here, personally i cant wait to see it.

we are off to waterloo, ontario later this week to stay at kristian's friends house....then off to NYC! we are also making a little detour to cleveland, ohio to catch up with some people we met in memphis. so we are having a great time even tho we fear death due to the cold, beer helps tho 😉


john and kristian

Advertisement



28th February 2006

Fu#*in computers
Hey pudd just a quick add-on to what mum wrote yesterday cos we had so much trouble sending that damn message it wasn't funny. First,let me just tell you we are not computer literate just yet,but i plan to be by the end of the week the way I'm going.Its true i have finished the fish pond and yes it does look fantastic despite some people wanting me to trash it.Mum gets a real kick out of sitting there and feeding them,we bought a half-dozen and one of them is a real weird colour and while all the rest swim around on top of the water chasing the food mum drops in this other one just blows bubbles out of his gob,chases them,swallows them and then keeps repeating the process so mum has named him MAD-BOB,I paid her back though becos I got another half-dozen and there's an albino in there so I have named it EVIL LIN after masters of the universe.Any way me and mum wrote all this to you yesterday in a letter that was almost as long winded as this one and then just as we went to send it I hit the wrong button and OOPS! all gone so then I had to go to work and leave mum to it,she was half way through again and the computer crashed so third time lucky eh! I'm off to golf,take it easy Buddy-Boy! Dad!
2nd March 2006

hey boys hey. great to hear that you are having a great time hey. when you are in waterloo go to a place called philthy mc nasties, its not what you think it is. just a alright uni bar hey. niagara falls is cool and go and watch it at night, very special hey. but be careful there is a casino no more than 200 metres down the rode dont spend to much hey. have you noticed they say hey alot, hey. keep up the good work dd

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 13; qc: 26; dbt: 0.025s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb