Night and Day and Night with Nigel and Mel in Yellowknife


Advertisement
Published: August 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

My last weekend in Yellowknife! On Friday, Nigel and Mel invited their friends, Michael, Bianca and Shannon over for games (pictionary, eventually). Shannon brought her dog, Otis (a Boston Terrier) over as well, so the 2 Otis's could meet and play together! What a riot!

Shannon's last day at work was on Friday...she's on her last 3 weeks before her baby is due. Her husband is away, so she came to join us!

I asked all of them how they ended up in Yellowknife! Fun stories. I liked the fact Michael and Bianca came from Vancouver in February because they wanted a change! The weekend they choose to come up that year, was one of the coldest (-50 C) and their flights were canceled! But, once the Canada Goose parka was gotten...well, they have been enjoying their time here! Especially going for late night photo shoots of the northern lights.

Shannon is a photographer, who has been working with Nigel...and she and her husband came right after he finished school and was offered a pretty good job in the mining industry!

So, Nigel decided the drink of the night should be mojitos! Michael and Nigel went to the store and picked up what they thought was mint...made the drink with some rum from Cuba...all of us looking forward to our drinks...took a taste and one of us realized the mint wasn't mint, it was cilantro! Once the cilantro was out of the drink and some dried mint was added...it wasn't too bad of a drink!

Lots of laughs playing pictionary, and our drawings, well....it was a good evening.

And to top the night off, all of us went out on the deck and the northern lights were having quite the show! Just at that moment, a substorm happened, and the lights went from green to red back to green and were dancing up a storm! Very sweet! A great way to end a wonderful evening!

Saturday, Mel knocked on my door early (7 am) to get up and out the door for garage sales! Coffee made, dog walked, out we went to pick up Shannon and at least 10 houses later...a good loot gotten (french kids books for Mel and her classroom, stud finder and flute for Nigel and baby stuff for Shannon).

Today, there was also a pancake breakfast happening at the school board Mel works at. Ymmm! A great way to finish the garage sales.

Once we dropped Shannon off after breakfast, Mel, Nigel and I headed back down to Old Town to do some art shopping!

All in all, a very successful day! The hike will be on another blog, because the scenery was something else!


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Mojitos made with Cilantro!Mojitos made with Cilantro!
Mojitos made with Cilantro!

An interesting drink...maybe not with cilantro!
drinks!drinks!
drinks!

Drinks before the games!
The great Canadian Snow Goose!The great Canadian Snow Goose!
The great Canadian Snow Goose!

what Nigel wears in the winter!
Julie and Mel having a good laughJulie and Mel having a good laugh
Julie and Mel having a good laugh

Pictionary...it was a good one!
Pancakes and Sauages Pancakes and Sauages
Pancakes and Sauages

Mel's school board!
Glass stuff!Glass stuff!
Glass stuff!

one of the art shops we stopped at!
relaxing after a day of garage sales!relaxing after a day of garage sales!
relaxing after a day of garage sales!

yeah, we are out on the deck!


Tot: 0.158s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1163s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb