Moving apartment, Bald Eagles and no new snow, oh and lots of drunk Aussies


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Whistler
January 27th 2009
Published: January 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Iain here again

Sorry for the lack of activity on here for the last few days, we have been busy....

There hasn't been any new snow here for nearly 2 weeks and so Friday afternoon we decided to get off the ice and go to the new Squamish Lil'Wat First Nation Museum in Whistler.

It was pretty interesting to see some of the history of the real locals, the building for the museum if great and the staff very helpful and attentive, they even sign one of their songs for you, we were given some sort of maraca thing to join in the percussion on but managed to get away with not doing too much of that!

We moved to our new apartment on Saturday, the old one being directly above a nightclub was just too much for us, being kept up until 2am every night was starting to take it's toll on us! The new place is smaller and is only a studio, its much much quieter and cheaper though so all in all we are pleased with it. The main draw back seems to be that the cable tv package no longer has all of the sports and so I can't watch premier league football at 7am on Saturdays, Helen doesn't seem too bothered about this.

We decided to hire a car on Sunday and went to Brackendale near to Squamish which is apparently the 'bald eagle capital of the world'. This fact seemed to have passed the bald eagles by as when we were there there were only 2 up in the trees seemingly not up to much. Needless to say once we went to the tea hut to get a brew and warm up they both decided to swoop into the river, grab some goodies and fly off.

We also went to Shanon Falls which was quite impressive, taller than Niagra apparently but by no means bigger.

As you can see from the pics the drive down the Sea to Sky Highway from Whistler down to Howe Sound is really spectacular and one you could never get bored of, I kept my eyes on the road all the time though.

Today is Australia day and being as there seem to be more Aussies here than in Australia or even London it's quite a big bash. On the hill today I saw a skiing Kangaroo and numerous people in shorts and Aussie rules football tops. Most of the bars in the village are awash with really drunk Aussies (or they were when I walked through at 5pm), I wonder if St George's Day will be such a big deal????

Snow is forecast for tonight and pretty much a few bits through the rest of this week so together with the rest of the lifts opening up on Whistler hopefully things are improving!

Oh yes I seem to have broken the oven in the new apartment and have currently locked a pizza in there which was supposed to be our tea which we can't get out, great!





Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0352s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb