First snakes on a plane, now goats on a roof


Advertisement
Published: May 12th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Scott’s parent’s, Bob and Pat, live in a place called Parksville on Vancouver Island and invited us to stay. We were looking forward to some nice lodgings after our horror hotel in Victoria so caught the bus North.

Bob and Pat’s place was definitely the opposite end of the scale from the Victoria hotel. They live in a relatively new area near the coast. We dropped our bags off and headed down to the pool as soon as we got there. Once recharged we took Cecil (Bob and Pat’s dog) for a walk down to the beach. He is a strange one, once at the beach he was trying to eat shells. We watched an eagle soaring above us and on the way back to the house saw its hug nest which must have been more than a metre wide.

Pat showed us some of the local sites including a restaurant which had goats grazing on its grass roof, the scenic Qualicum Falls where we went for a walk, and finally we checked out some humongous tall trees, some of them have circumferences of 31 feet, so it would take at least five tall adults to completely embrace them. I got that last bit from a website. Who embraces trees? Sounds a bit weird.

Once back at Bob and Pat’s we sat out on the balcony in the sun eating hot crab dip, before a huge roast chicken meal cooked on the BBQ. As we sank a few drinks and engorged ourselves on good food, we talked mostly of travels. Bob used to work on oil rigs so they have lived all over the show including South America, the Middle East and the Caribbean. We did also learn a few secrets about Scott’s childhood such as his irrational fear of medusas. A nice little bit of information to keep as leverage in case he finds out about my bedwetting. Keep that a secret though.

After dinner we lounged in the downstairs area watching Bob’s humongous TV and laughing at Cecil who was freaking out for no apparent reason. Maybe it was all those shells he ate or perhaps he had a medusa Nightmare? Before bed we treated ourselves to a spa, it was relaxing, well at least until we thought we’d broken it and started stressing out.


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0527s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb