Canada - Where Long Lost Friends Meet!


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Golden
March 11th 2009
Published: May 6th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Glacier National ParkGlacier National ParkGlacier National Park

As far as we got to see Glacier National Park.
Today we drove to Golden, BC, Canada and especially to Michelle Rogers. But it wasn’t going to be a seamless drive, since it was on our way we had decided to go see Glacier National Park. From Great Falls we drove through Montana to the top, right near the border. The drive was slow, the road was iced over and covered by snow. We would love to tell you how lovely Glacier National Park was but unfortunately we got stuck about 10 metres from the entrance gate. You ask how we got stuck; we got hung up in the snow, all four wheels were stuck and our little car wasn’t going anywhere.

Two nice Canadian’s came to help, they pushed the car forward and backward but the wheels continued to spin. They tried to dig the car out, around the wheels and under neath, but still the car wouldn’t budge. They went to get help, help came in the form of a big red truck, driven by an Alaskan. He hooked the car up with a chain and pulled us straight out. After our hour ordeal we decided to head straight for the border as we had lost time and
Head Smashed In Buffalo JumpHead Smashed In Buffalo JumpHead Smashed In Buffalo Jump

As if the name wasn't enough, the signs definitely make it clear what happens to the buffalo.
I wanted to see Michelle. So Glacier National Park was the one that got away, no map or badge, which we have collected from every national park so far.

We had decided not to stop at Calgary but stop at “Head Smashed In Buffalo Jump”. It’s a protected area where Native Indians would make Bison stampede over a cliff and die. The centre was very well done but a little graphic. It’s name came from a stampede when a boy who wanted a closer look decided to sit on a ledge. The only problem with that was when the bison piled up the boy got caught and sadly his head got smashed in.

We arrived in Golden that evening. As it was dark, unfortunately I had woken Michelle after a long day at work. She was a little dazed but still very excited to have us. It was so great to see her, especially since we hadn’t seen each other for 16 months!! Michelle made a lovely dinner and we spent the rest of the night catching up.

On Sunday we took advantage of Michelle's laundry and washed almost all our clothes. It was so lovely, smelling
Head Smashed In Buffalo JumpHead Smashed In Buffalo JumpHead Smashed In Buffalo Jump

A model outlining what the Buffalo jump looked like about 6000 years ago.
fresh , clean and soft. After the washing was done, we along with Tom (Alister's mate from home) and Michelle went up the mountain as Alister had to work. The mountain was busy, we boarded the gondola and went up to Eagle’s Eye, the roof top of the world (well it felt like it). The ride took a little while, we continued to get higher and higher, it was insane. Unfortunately it wasn’t a clear day, so we could see very far. It was also very cold. We enjoyed lunch and a few beers and before we knew it we headed down the mountain. Alister cooked a late roast dinner, but man was it good. We enjoyed finishing off the evening with vodka and Canada Dry!!

It was Monday and no one had to work so off we went for a day trip to Lake Louise and Banff. The journey only took about an hour and we were at Lake Louise. The lake itself was completely frozen, it had a ice castle on it but it was a little disappointing, we were unable to see the real beauty of it all. It was a little fogging and REALLY cold;
Head Smashed In Buffalo JumpHead Smashed In Buffalo JumpHead Smashed In Buffalo Jump

The cliffs were originally about 20 metres higher but all the remains from buffalo at the bottom have built up to make the cliff shorter.
about -22 degrees!! The boys nose hair even froze! We tried to stay out on the lake for as long as possible, but it was just too cold for Stephen and I so in we went to the Chalet. It was time for a hot chocolate and this place was prefect. Jan and Pauline had stayed here on the recent visit to Canada. It was nice, but not as nice as staying with Michelle.

We then drove a little further in the snow to Banff. It was a pretty small snow village. We had some lunch and walked around the town. On our way back to Golden we stopped off at the Bow Falls. It was pretty but the only problem was it had completely frozen and wasn’t falling anywhere.

Being that we were there on a Monday, it was Michelle and Alister’s night for a group dinner with those who work on the mountain. Not everyone were boarding instructors, they worked on the lifts, and in the hotel and call centres. Everyone made us feel very welcome and there were loads of Aussie’s there. We enjoyed the lovely dinner that was cooked for us and enjoyed the
Michelle and IMichelle and IMichelle and I

At Eagle's Eye on the top of Kicking Horse.
huge bottles of wines!! It was a good night had by all. Unfortunately it would be the last that we would share with Michelle and Alister for a little while - until they return home.

We celebrated our second wedding anniversary in the Westin Vancouver. We made good time into Vancouver, even though the road was surrounded by snow.

We decided to only spend one day in Vancouver to try and escape the cold. It was a nice enough city, since we where staying close to Stanley Park we decided to explore it first. It was lovely to walk around, the weather wasn’t too cold but the wind was chilly. We walked to the look out point and looked out to the snow capped mountains and stumbled upon the totem poles. The Totem Poles have been in Stanley Park since the 1920's. Originally there was only 4 poles but as time has passed more poles have been added and some have been moved to museums for preservation. Totem Poles are a tradition of the Native Tribes of this Northwest Coastal area and they were amazing to see.

That afternoon we headed to the USA border and Seattle.
Stephen and IStephen and IStephen and I

At Eagle's Eye on the top of Kicking Horse.


Hope you all well.

Love Michelle and Stephen.
xoxo



Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Kicking HorseKicking Horse
Kicking Horse

The view from the gondola on the way down.
Kicking HorseKicking Horse
Kicking Horse

The view from the gondola on the way down.
Lake LouiseLake Louise
Lake Louise

This is the most water we saw at the lake.
Stephen and IStephen and I
Stephen and I

At Lake Louise.
Michelle and IMichelle and I
Michelle and I

At Lake Louise.
In My CastleIn My Castle
In My Castle

On the ice at Lake Louise.
Walking to the CarWalking to the Car
Walking to the Car

All the snow on the roads at Lake Louise.
Bow Falls BanffBow Falls Banff
Bow Falls Banff

It's in there somewhere, under all the snow and ice.
Me at Stanley ParkMe at Stanley Park
Me at Stanley Park

At the look out point, Stanley Park Vancouver
Stephen and the Totem PolesStephen and the Totem Poles
Stephen and the Totem Poles

At Stanley Park, Vancouver.
The Totem PolesThe Totem Poles
The Totem Poles

At Stanley Park, Vancouver.
Us and the Totem PolesUs and the Totem Poles
Us and the Totem Poles

At Stanley Park, Vancouver.


Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0279s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb