When animals attack in Golden


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Golden
September 22nd 2008
Published: October 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

All I have to say about our journey to and from Golden is: greyhound buses attract the weirdest people!! Saying that, the scenary was amazing.
We arrived in Golden (well on the highway where the bus left us) and were immediately awestruck about how amazing the area was. The town is situated next to a river with a slightly torquise colour surrounded by snow capped mountains which are covered in thick pine forests. I could not believe that this was so close to how I pictured Canada to be.
After the awe inspiring feelings had worn off and we had checked in to our acommodaion (which they upgraded from an 8 bed dorm to a private room with its own bathroom and tv and with mountain views for no additional cost) we decided to walk into town by the river. As we were walking along we noticed that there were signs posted on trees which at closer inspection informed us that a bear had been spotted on this street in the past 24 hours. AHHHHH!!!!
The next day we were walking along a street when a workman told us to "watch out for the mum and cubs". This took a little
THE BEAR!!!THE BEAR!!!THE BEAR!!!

This is the dangerous mother bear. Unfortunately we only thought to get the camera out as it started to walk away.
while to sink in but I soon worked it out when Pete told me to look over there and around 20 metres away were 2 bear cubs. Peter decided to get out of there quick smart but Triona just kept on walking, then she noticed that 20 metres away from her was the mother. Luckily she was not inbetween the mum and cubs- so it was all okay. Although Triona was not to worried as she was around 1 metre behind an old couple and if the bear had decided to turn on her- she would have been faster than the oldies so it would have been okay- survival of the fittest!!
As the bears were walking away we then decided that it would be a good idea to take a photo. So the only photo that we have of our bear experince was of the mother walking away.
Sadly the lady who worked at our hostel told us that because the bear family would not leave the town they were destroyed the next day. Apparently this happens regularly as the bears come down from the mountains to eat before hibernating. This would not be a problem except that people still do not put there rubbish in areas where bears can not get it. Once the bears start eating garbage they tend not to leave the town again, which is when they get destroyed. This is very sad because it is so preventable, unfortunately it is just a few lazy individuals who are creating this problem.




Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 17; qc: 68; dbt: 0.0716s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb