Banff to Fernie and back to Vancouver again


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Fernie
October 20th 2008
Published: October 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We loved Banff but we were excited to continue on our roadtrip, so after getting a quick coffee in the morning we continued on our way to Fernie. The drive was nice, lots of different scenery compared to what we have seen so far, there was ofcourse mountains but there were lots of farm land and a couple of massive lakes. But the highlight would of had to of been driving up to a grey wolf standing in the middle of the road. We were the first car in bit of a convoy so we slowed everyone else down and also got the best view of him but we couldn't get the camera out in time to capture it as we were in a bit of owe, as the grey wolf is not a very common sight these days.

We were a bit shocked when we arrived in Fernie because it was absolutley dead and everything was closed so its seemed a bit like a ghost town. We went for a quick drive through town and then checked out Fernie Mountain Resort- Fernie really is a gorgeous little town, small but very beautiful and I'm sure it would be pumping in the snow season and heaps of fun. Our hostel was a disappoitment, mainly due to the bad service (So if you go to Fernie DON'T go to The Raging Elk Hostel!), so we decided to only stay the one night and continue on to Vancouver the next morning. The drive from Fernie to Vancouver was absolutley amazing, I would say it was even possiably better then the icefield parkway (Grant agrees), it was like some thing from a fairytale.

After a huge 10 hour drive and getting lost (we some how ended up in North Vancouver, haha) we finally made it to our hostel.
Since being back in Vancouver we have done a couple more touristy things but also just kicked back a bit and enjoyed just being here. We went to the Granville Market, on Granville island, where we did a brewery tour and tried some Canadian beers -well grant did- we checked out the famous steam clock in Gastown, walked around Stanley Park and saw the mighty Canucks kill the Oilers- Go! Cancuks! Go! The icehockey game would have to be the best experience we had in Vancouver, it's definatley the best live sporting game I have ever seen (amanda).

Entry written by Grant and Amanda


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Canucks FightCanucks Fight
Canucks Fight

Only about 4 minutes into the game


28th October 2008

Pictures
Hi Guys, If I recall correctly you were taking about 6 cameras with you. YOU'D THINK YOU MIGHT BE ABLE TO GRAB ONE TO SHOW ME THE GREY WOLF!!! :) Glad you're having a fab time and I like all the extra photos in this posting. Take care, Fish. PS Finally did a photography course over the last two weeks, really worthwhile, saw samples of a Holga camera's work. Off to Thailand for two weeks this weekend.
30th October 2008

Hey Greg, Sorry we only ended up taking 5 so if we had that 6th one we might of got it. Glad you did a course so we will be keen to see your photos from thailand. Have a great time Grant and Amanda
5th November 2008

market life
sorry i missed this entry when it was relevant but i just wanted to say that the granville island market was my favorite part of vancouver. there's a native american musuem at the local university that is also worth checking out if you're ever back in vancouver. hope the snow is falling and the skiing is good.

Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0225s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb