Road Trip: Jasper


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta » Jasper National Park
October 8th 2008
Published: October 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We were excited to start our road trip and picked up our rental car first thing in the morning to head for Japser. Driving out of the city was fairly easy, but once we got to Highway No.5 we were cautioned of 'Extreamly Slippery Icy Roads,' and frequently saw these signs until very soon we saw many cars and even a few trucks that had slid off the road. Scary stuff, but we were careful and made it safely to Jasper.

Once we arrived in Jasper we went for a drive through town and explored a little around the national park and had our first very close encounter with the wildlife- Three Caribou just on the side of the road. They were so calm and relaxed and weren't bothered by our car at all, ofcoarse we took it really slow as we passed by and got a couple of quick photos- lucky we had our cameras on the ready.
Our hostel (Hi Jasper) was cosy and had a real homely feel, we both felt comfortable as soon as we arrived (Loved the fireplace!)

The next day as we drove towards town (about 2km from our hostel) we were stunned to see a massive Elk standing in the middle of the road blocking the traffic coming the other way. We quickly stopped the car, like everyone else, and reached for our cameras to get a picture of the amazing creature. The Elk just stood with his head raised high and proud demonstrating his authority of his land. After a few minutes he continued to cross onto our side of the road and stopped at the side of our car (the passenger side), we waited and held our breath, and just as I was looking through my lense about to take a real close-up shot he all of a sudden stomped forward agressively and waved his antleirs towards the my window. I screamed in terror and Grant quickly floored it and took off. I swear he was so close to putting his antleir through my window. We were lucky. It's was scary but also a relaity check- we are in their land and territory and we must respect it.

We spent our days in Jasper walking around seeing beautiful and natural sights, like the Maigne Canyon- which is a canyon formed by snow melt from the mountains; Athabasca Falls- big powerful waterfalls from Athabasca river which flows from the athabasca glacier; Edith Carvel- the best experience of ours. You follow a very icy pathway right up to the glacier and get up real close... standing there taking the scenry in was an amazing experience, the silence was almost deafing but actaully hearing the groans and cracking from inside the glacier was awakening... i cant even explain the sensation. I suppose it makes you realise how 'real' and 'alive' nature really is. There was also this massive ice cave, about 30meters high which was spectacular.

Jasper is a beautiful town, and I would definatley go back. Locals live here for the simple and peacful lifestyle, to be amongst nature and the beautiful mountains. They are all so friendly and will just stop and chat to you on the street. Next we are off to Banff via the Icefield Pathway.


Entry written by Amanda





Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0317s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 5; ; mem: 1.1mb