May Day in Istanbul


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Marmara » Istanbul » Ortaköy
May 1st 2014
Published: May 1st 2014
Edit Blog Post

Today is May Day. A holiday in Istanbul. It was expected there would be some demonstrations around parts of the city today. The demonstrators began to gather early..... Labor Day..... The Labor Unions wanted to gather in Taksim Square to demonstrate but were blocked by police using tear gas, water cannons and Rubber Bullets. We saw police helicopters flying over the city and could hear blasts and see smoke..... It was far From us but we decided to stay close to home today.

Shannon cooked a yummy smelling pot of Red Lentil Soup .....we went in to the little village of Ortakoy to the Thursday Market. We wandered up and down the rows of clothing, genuine fake hand bags, vegetable stands, spices, jewelry , scarves, and baked goods. We stopped for a grilled flat bread fried on a drum with melted cheese and Turkish Tea. Yummy.......

We purchased a couple of bird cages, some flowers, three genuine magic slicer tools .....hobo bag......drainer board.... and some nuts and vegetables! Successful trip. On the way back to car we found a cool shop....antique stuff we are sure hasn't passed through the digestive system of a goat or cow ( how fake antique coins are processed ).

Peter walked to the bakery for Lavash .....a wonderful Turkish bread to go with our homemade Lentil soup and salad. Great dinner. Our movie tonight was Last Vegas....very fun movie......followed by Boston Coolers ( Vanilla ice cream with ginger ale). Life is Good ....Wish you all could be here. Good Night from Istanbul


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0506s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb