Day one World Cup


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Central Anatolia » Ankara
July 1st 2008
Published: July 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Got off the field late Sunday night from the opening ceremonies which were impressive. They were giving out free Jack Daniels Vodka and tequila by good looking girls in tight white shirts. Pictures to follow. We had a late night dinner and was curious as to what Crap Flakes were so when I received it I got Imitation Crab salad AKA Crap Flakes. We are at the field from 7am to 730pm so it is long days. There was lots of wind in the afternoon and some people are estimating up to $50,000 damage to planes colliding and crashing. Looks cool if your a spectator but not as a pilot. We had one of our own go into the trees but was repairable and got off lucky. We are adapting to the heat and is tolerable so long as we hydrate regularly. I'm up to 7-8litres per day.
There were a few times f-18 jets flew over head , assuming U.S. military. It begins to put things into perspective as to how close to the conflict we are. Their media is far more to the visual carnage shown on T.V. Not near the censorship we get in Canada.
Feeling lots of aches and pains in the hips and feet. I went to the medic van to deal with my blisters. Not the most sanitary condition we are use to but Ali fixed me up with gauze and a battle field bandage system that made me look like I it was worse than it really was. He then asked for a team shirt for his services. I gave him one in exchange for changing my dressing on my foot every day. he agreed and has since downsized the bandage to 1 toe. We have lots of wait time in between heats and they have wireless internet here so there is plenty of time now to Blog.
At the opening ceremonies I met a German fella Thomas. He wanted me to have a drink of Raka with him. It is an Anisette type of alcohol mixed with water and it goes cloudy white. It was very good and have since picked some up to bring home. He had more than his fair share as he said he was feeling very rough the next day.
Each country are in a covered shelter side by side, so we are sandwiched between the Italian and Brasilian team. The Italians are so animated in their communication it is really fun to watch. Who needs T.V.
We went out for dinner about a 15minute walk up the street to a park with a board walk with several different places to eat. It was an incredible setting and lots of interesting people. There are quite a few women which wear Black burkas and look away if you try to make eye contact.It seems like a very unique way of life for them. They are made from either felt or fine hair from sheep.they look hot in this weather. Looking through the trees you could see an apartment building with lots of people sitting out on their patio there drinking tea which is quite the thing around here. Try finding authentic coffee is so far difficult, lots of instant though.
Another plane just crashed, another 2000.00 down the drain . The Italian plane. Now they are really chatting trying to get it fixed.
Go to get going . It's nearing tow time.






Advertisement



Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 40; dbt: 0.0411s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb