Background: Modern Turkey was founded in 1923 from the Anatolian remnants of the defeated Ottoman Empire by national hero Mustafa KEMAL, who was later honored with the title Ataturk, or "Father of the Turks." Under his authoritarian leadership, the country adopted wide-ranging social, legal, and political reforms. After a period of one-party rule, an experiment with multi-party politics led to the 1950 election victory of the opposition Democratic Party and the peaceful transfer of power. Since then, Turkish political parties have multiplied, but democracy has been fractured by periods of instability and intermittent military coups (1960, 1971, 1980), which in each case eventually resulted in a return of political power to civilians. In 1997, the military again helped engineer the ouster - popularly dubbed a "post-modern coup" - of the then Islamic-oriented government. Turkey intervened militarily on Cyprus in 1974 to prevent a Greek takeover of the island and has since acted as patron state to the "Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus," which only Turkey recognizes. A separatist insurgency begun in 1984 by the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) - now known as the People's Congress of Kurdistan or Kongra-Gel (KGK) - has dominated the Turkish military's attention and claimed more than 30,000 lives, but after the capture of the group's leader in 1999, the insurgents largely withdrew from Turkey, mainly to northern Iraq. In 2004, KGK announced an end to its ceasefire and attacks attributed to the KGK increased. Turkey joined the UN in 1945 and in 1952 it became a member of NATO. In 1964, Turkey became an associate member of the European Community; over the past decade, it has undertaken many reforms to strengthen its democracy and economy, enabling it to begin accession membership talks with the European Union.
Photos from Central Anatolia
Blogs from Central Anatolia
Latest Blogs from Central Anatolia
- December 4th 2013 The saviour of turkey.
by Words: 105 Photos: 13
- December 3rd 2013 The house that Cob built.
by Words: 856 Photos: 41
- December 2nd 2013 November 26th
by Words: 706 Photos: 1
- December 2nd 2013 November 27th
by Words: 417 Photos: 5
- December 2nd 2013 November 28
by Words: 706 Photos: 13
- December 2nd 2013 November 29th
by Words: 351 Photos: 2
- October 15th 2013 from Ankara to Kayseri - the Ankara summary
by Words: 1213 Photos: 6
- October 6th 2013 An Oasis with Bulls and a lots more Views
by Words: 1137 Photos: 30
- October 4th 2013 Going Underground with The Sultans of Swing
by Words: 1553 Photos: 40
- October 3rd 2013 Fairies, Mushrooms and Men's Bit's!!!!
by Words: 1166 Photos: 43
- October 2nd 2013 A Sanctuary and the start of a Fairy Tail
by Words: 862 Photos: 21
- October 1st 2013 Out of the Lions mouth but onto the Sacrificial Alter
by Words: 1272 Photos: 44
- August 28th 2013 Sunday 28th July 2013 - Nemrut, Turkey
by Words: 341 Photos: 45
- August 13th 2013 The Hunt for Yeni Mosque.
by Words: 653 Photos: 343
- August 12th 2013 The Erratic Wanderings of a Tired Swede.
by Words: 1111 Photos: 248
- July 26th 2013 Friday 26th July 2013 - Silk Road in Aksaray
by Words: 523 Photos: 81
- July 15th 2013 Kapadokya
by Words: 377 Photos: 4
- July 13th 2013 Konya
by Words: 410 Photos: 4
- June 23rd 2013 Cappadocia
by Words: 506 Photos: 10
- May 13th 2013 CAPPADOCIA TO ANKARA, TURKEY—Monday, May 13, 2013
by Words: 726 Photos: 16