25,000 papyrus books, 176AD-Ephesus


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Aegean » Kusadasi
May 23rd 2010
Published: May 24th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Toilets ;-)Toilets ;-)Toilets ;-)

Sit and visit ;-)
We've made it to Turkey and docked at Kusadasi on the Agean Sea. We took a tour bus to the ancient city of Ephesus about 30 minutes away. This was even more impressive than Pompeii and we loved that city. Ephesus, was so advanced they had a 3 story library with 25,000 papyrus books, bathrooms (yes in deedy), shopping areas, theatres (no dolby sound however), this was a huge city of 250,000 people. We could have stayed all day but we were thankful for the 2 hours we did get. This is not to be missed if you get to this part of the world.

We next saw a carpet making demonstration. Silk on silk, 600 knots per square inch and it takes a woman (yep, they said only women do this in their homes and villages), 8 months to make a 2 X 3 foot rug! They are works of art and do we ever have an appreciation for what it takes to make them. We would not be able to bring ourselves to actually walk on them ;-)

Cope loved it because they gave us Turkishis pasteries and Turkish black tea. Of course after that we had to stop into the local Starbucks and take a look around. Hard to pass up those adorable Teddy Bears with "Turkey" on their shirts, but since we have ZERO room in our 21" carry on, the bear had to stay here.

Oh....the picture that we're putting up today is of the public toilets in Ephesus. This is the men's toilet where they would just sit next to each other and socialize and catch up on the events of the day ;-)

Advertisement



Tot: 0.035s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0163s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb