The Dead Sea and some Christian Stuff


Advertisement
Jordan's flag
Middle East » Jordan » West » Dead Sea
February 9th 2009
Published: March 20th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Photo 1Photo 1Photo 1

Jo bobbıng lıke a cork!
Started our day with a Second Cup coffee! Hell yeh, been a while! Even had a Canada flag in the window. Made our way out of Amman, bound for Mt Nebo. Holy place where Christians believe Moses is said to have seen the promised land. He then died there at age 120. Old guy! He was buried here and churches were built on top of the hill. Totally cloudy, windy, and hazy so could not see a thing. Apparently you can see all the way to Jerusalem.
Also went on to River Jordan and Bethany Beyond The Jordan. That means it is where Christians say Jesus was baptised by John the Baptist, also where the 1st 5 Apostles met, and Elijah ascended to heaven on a chariot. Of course! Was big Military area as was border to Isreal so was on tour with guide in big truck and army guys all around us. Did see where "J" himself was apparently Baptised and such, even a church.

Continued on to The Dead Sea. As you may know the Dead Sea is the lowest place on Earth. Showed -400 m below sea level on my GPS. Anyways the Dead Sea has such
Photo 2Photo 2Photo 2

Parkıng lot Dead Sea! -396meters!
a high salinity or salt content, that you actually float on top of it! I'm not kidding, coolest feeling ever!!! We just bobbed on top like corks on water! The water did not taste like salt at all, more like burning! Killed the eyes too! Do not put head under water! So much fun to just bob around. Really hard to swim in as you are on top, not in the water. It is all recommended that you stay on back, as I think there have been some drowning believe it or not! Yeh you float, so how do you drown! It is possible!! It was cold out but the water warm.

Weird weather that day as it was cloudy then seemed darkness was upon us at like 4 pm. Couldn't figure it out. Then a sand storm blew in while driving to Petra and I was down to like 30 km/hr. Could not see a thing! Ended up going over mountain pass to get to Petra, up to 1500 m where I thought I saw a snow flake! Yep I did. Was in a blizzard for the next 3 hrs trying to find our way there. Not kidding I have a video and pictures to prove it!


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Photo 5Photo 5
Photo 5

Can see all the salt dryıng on me
Photo 7Photo 7
Photo 7

Attemptıng to swım on stomach but very hard.
Photo 10Photo 10
Photo 10

A vıew of what Moses saw as the "promısed land!" Really?
Photo 11Photo 11
Photo 11

looks a bıt more baren then promısıng, but that is just me!
Photo 12Photo 12
Photo 12

church Mt Nebo
Photo 13Photo 13
Photo 13

mosaıc of church
Photo 16Photo 16
Photo 16

Apparently where Jesus was Baptısed
Photo 17Photo 17
Photo 17

Jordan Rıver seperatıng Jordan and Israel
Camel sıgn ın sandstormCamel sıgn ın sandstorm
Camel sıgn ın sandstorm

Me tryıng to fıgure out how to get to Petra


Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0786s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb