Amman, Petra and Wadi Rum


Advertisement
Jordan's flag
Middle East » Jordan » South » Wadi Rum
August 2nd 2008
Published: August 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Text Coming Soon


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Roman Theater At Sunset, AmmanRoman Theater At Sunset, Amman
Roman Theater At Sunset, Amman

This theater is a very well preserved part of the eastern Roman world. At sunset singing prayers from the mosques blared through the loud speakers and echo throughout the city. Islamic call to prayer happens 5 times a day and while in the M.E. and Turkey we became very accustomed to hearing the drone of the always male voices.
AmmanAmman
Amman

Coming from Asia and landing in Jordan was a culture shock! Our first walk in the evening the city was filled with many new sounds, music, smells, food, dress, and of course friendly people who, as in Asia, were excited to meet two Americans and converse with us, even if it was just hello.
KidsKids
Kids

these friendly girls were inthe courtyard of their apt. building and looking at us through the ornate gate. It was already after dark but they were curious about us!
PastriesPastries
Pastries

Amman and other cities in the middle east have sweet shoppes like this full of traditional pastries like Baklava and many similar but new ones we had to sample.
HousesHouses
Houses

I liked the hilly Amman compared with some of the cities we saw in China. The houses looked more natural and with similar color to the earth had a nice way of blending in with the environment. Amman is a city of around 5 million and more westernized than you would think.
PetraPetra
Petra

View from a street above and outside the entrance. Petra is the place you all know from the third Indian Jones movie. It was just as magnificent as in the movie!
PetraPetra
Petra

Walking thru these amazing, tall rock passageways was awesome! It reminded us a little of Zion National Park in Southern Utah with all the coral colors.
PetraPetra
Petra

The first peek of the amazing carved face that we saw in Indiana Jones
PetraPetra
Petra

There is much more to this ancient place than this! Very impressive. Camels hang out for those who get to hot to keep walking.
MonasteryMonastery
Monastery

William sitting in the door of the old monastary at the top of the mountain, can you see him? It was quite a hike up to this spot. There are many other amazing parts of Petra, a huge ancient city.
Bedouin ManBedouin Man
Bedouin Man

very nice man we sat with and watched the sunset, he later helped us get down from here in the dark.
SunsetSunset
Sunset

Hiking up to the monastery for sunset is wonderful. Bring a flash light for the walk down.
Wadi Rum...Wadi Rum...
Wadi Rum...

is an amazing desert of mountains with this beautiful sand and incredible rock climbing! A rock climbers 'wet dream' one blogger said! Too hot in summer but the dry heat wasn't as bad as we expected. This photo hardly does the place justice though.
Our Camp At Wadi RumOur Camp At Wadi Rum
Our Camp At Wadi Rum

A rum is a dry river area. We spent one night here and slept under the stars. It was very quiet and peaceful!


Tot: 0.149s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0404s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb