Petra!!!


Advertisement
Jordan's flag
Middle East » Jordan » South » Petra
October 12th 2015
Published: October 12th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Gentle Breeze or Light Silent SoundGentle Breeze or Light Silent SoundGentle Breeze or Light Silent Sound

This is were I was sitting when I felt the heavenly gentle breeze.
Then the Lord said: Go out and stand on the mountain before the Lord; the Lord will pass by. There was a strong and violent wind rending the mountains and crushing rocks before the Lord—but the Lord was not in the wind; after the wind, an earthquake—but the Lord was not in the earthquake; after the earthquake, fire—but the Lord was not in the fire; after the fire, a light silent sound(1 Kings 19:11-12). This is the passage that came to mind while sitting atop one of the highest points of the ancient city of Petra. Exhausted from the intense heat and long climb to this high place, where the ancient inhabitants of Petra came to meet their gods, I was confronted with a refreshing gentle breeze and reminded of Elijah's "light silent sound."

Perhaps most renown to moviegoers because of Indiana Jones’ discovery of the Holy Grail here; Petra is a real and simply extraordinary experience. Archaeologists have found artifacts from as early as 70,000 BC, but the site is most well known as the capital city of the Nabatean kingdom, who established caravan stops and eventually cities along the spice road between the Mediterranean and Persia. The tour of the site includes a 2-3 mile walk through an ancient sandstone canyon enriched by various mineral deposits, which create spectacular swirls of color. Throughout the site are tombs, dwellings and temples carved directly into the sandstone. Petra thrived from the 3rd century BC to the 1st century AD; it was later conquered and eventually Christianized by the Romans. During the Byzantine period, some of the Nabatean and Roman temples were converted into basilicas. The natural and man-made beauty of Petra is difficult to describe in words and images. If you ever have the chance to travel to the Middle East, be sure to include Petra on your itinerary.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Valley of the Crescent MoonValley of the Crescent Moon
Valley of the Crescent Moon

"Treasury" in the background.
"Treasury" of Petra"Treasury" of Petra
"Treasury" of Petra

Erroneously named; actually a Nabatean temple and burial site of a Nabatean king.
Tombs of the WealthyTombs of the Wealthy
Tombs of the Wealthy

Notice the steps carved into the façade; these were for the spirits of the dead to use upon their ascent into heaven.
Byzantine MonasteryByzantine Monastery
Byzantine Monastery

Originally a Nabatean Temple of 1st Century BC
Blue Sky BasilicaBlue Sky Basilica
Blue Sky Basilica

So named for the blue stone of the pillars.


Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0496s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 4; ; mem: 1.1mb