The Rose City - Petra


Advertisement
Middle East » Jordan » South » Petra
July 23rd 2012
Published: July 26th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Bus to Petra It all started with a public transport bus packed with a few tourist groups and then one big group of 17 loud, fun arabs. I was in the latter. The 3 hour bus ride to Petra from Amman seemed short with the different arabic songs being sung and plenty of new people to get to know. The group was made up of a lot of Laila's friends I had already met, but a few new ones as well. By... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 44, Displayed: 21


Advertisement




26th July 2012

Returning to Petra
Definitely try to visit the Monastery, it is a long hike, but not a tiring one - easy to visit in a day. To me it was the highlight of Petra, equal to seeing the Treasury from the Siq and the camels! The High Place of Sacrifice is another worthy hike. Consider staying in some of the cheaper guest houses overnight so as to enjoy the Petra by Night experience - most memorable.
26th July 2012

A beautiful city
I'm glad you have time away from your studies to explore. What an amazing place. You look good on a camel. I like the photos of you that Laila took, very nice. You are correct it is nice for them to be confused on your heritage. While in Greece someone thought I was french. I've also been mistaken for Italian. It can be useful at times. Safe and happy travels.
26th July 2012
Cave Dwelling

Photograph critique
Equal to my favourite photograph on this blog. What I like about this photo: 1) Tight framing, 2) Plain background that doesn't detract from the subject (you), 3) Reflected sunlight (far superior in human portraits than direct sunlight). Suggestion for improvement: 1) Wear a thawb (ankle length-garment) next time ;-)
26th July 2012

Photograph critique
Equal to my favourite photograph on this blog. What I like about this photo: 1) Tight framing, 2) It is a camel, 3) It is a fine looking camel. Suggestion for improvement: 1) Slightly different framing to remove the person on the upper right of the picture (you could also crop)
26th July 2012

Hi Johnny, I wanted to say that I have enjoyed following your blogs. As for your pictures in this one, I liked them. You have a good mix of buildings, people, interesting perspective and overall they tell a story. D and MJ had pointed out your blog to me recently, so I wanted to say keep up the great blogs and travels.
26th July 2012

My favorite picture was...
first view of the Treasury. But all were great!
26th July 2012
A new bedouin has joined the ranks

PERFECT PROFILE PIC
Great blog...amazing pics of Petra & camels...but this is my favourite...wonder who?
31st July 2012
A new bedouin has joined the ranks

Yours truly!
haha thank you for the comment
26th July 2012

yes
Amazing place. I reached The Monastery after climbing nearly 1000 steps, unforgettable. Lovely people.
27th July 2012

Thank you for the feedback
Shane, yes I'm definitely going to have to go back to see the Monastery sometime in the future! I don't think the hike will be a problem and it would be worth it to see. The night experience also sounds worth a second trip MJ, thanks! It really was an amazing trip :D Laila really liked that one too, I ended up using it on facebook as well. Haha yes it is pretty useful! I hate that "standing out" feeling of being a tourist :) Brendan, thanks a lot for your support and taking the time to read my blogs! I'll have to check yours out as well Bob, thanks for the feedback! Dave, thanks! My girlfriend Laila took that one. nice shot huh?

Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 24; dbt: 0.031s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb