Makhtesh Ramon and Avdat


Advertisement
Israel's flag
Middle East » Israel » South District » Makhtesh Ramon
March 30th 2011
Published: April 2nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

The Great Crater (Makhtesh Ramon).

The other day, we went to the great crater, Makhetsh Ramon. It was amazing how many types of plants and rocks there were! Walking through a dried wadi, I saw purple rocks, sand, and bright red rocks, too. There were huge piles of black rocks and little white flowers that grew on a bush that smelled like vanilla! There was a lot of wildlife. We saw a quail like creatures. We also saw three friendly Ibex! There was a big one with huge horns, and two little ones. They did not mind us, and we could follow them and get within a close distance to them. We could have touched them if we wanted to. (We didn't, though.)
The great crater is the largest crater in the world on land! Some people call it "Israel's Grand Canyom."It was very fun to go there! The hike was very long. We went all the way down one side of the crater into the base. From there we set out to find a place called "The Carpentry Shop." It is this mass of prism shaped rocks (6 sided) in long chunks that look as if they were cut
Avdat RuinsAvdat RuinsAvdat Ruins

One of the dwelling caves.
from the rock by a carpenter. after 3 hours of hiking we decided we needed to head back. Oh well!

Avdat

Next, we went to Avdat. The first day, we walked along a river through a canyon. It was like being in a giant clay pot. Then, we climbed a mountain. It was very steep and quite hard to climb...but we made it to the top. When we returned to the bottom, I found a spot in the sand filled with crystal stones.
The next day, we went to ruins where a nomadic people called the Nabateans built their city along a trade route called The Spice Route. This route lead from The Middle East to Europe. It was for trading spices and perfumes. The Nabateans became a wealthy people, with a wine press and everything! Their civilization lasted for centuries. Avdat is also the site where Jesus Christ Superstar the movie was filmed.
We had a great time going to Avdat!


Additional photos below
Photos: 46, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

The Burial CaveThe Burial Cave
The Burial Cave

This was built by the romans.
AvdatAvdat
Avdat

The Roman Villla
IbexIbex
Ibex

This Ibex was way up high on a cliff. We did not think it was possible for him to climb down..but he did!
Avdat RuinsAvdat Ruins
Avdat Ruins

This is where they filmed "Jesus Christ Superstar"
Ein AdvatEin Advat
Ein Advat

Our second Hike- just to the north of Makhtesh Ramon.


3rd April 2011

Wow!
What an experience. Like going back to school for me . . . without having to travel. Your comments and pictures are amazing. The Great Crator, The plants, the colorful rocks, the animals. "Giant clay pot" (I liked that description). I was on that mountain climbing right along with you, Emily.
4th May 2011

Avdat Ruins
Pretty impressed with those Roman arches in the ruins. Also the wildlife there. The little Ibex looked cuter than sneakers!

Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0432s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb