A Very Cool Trip to the North


Advertisement
Israel's flag
Middle East » Israel » North District » Tiberias
July 9th 2011
Published: July 9th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Beit She'anBeit She'anBeit She'an

Walking up a Roman street!
For the last couple days my family and I went to see the north of Israel. The first thing we did was go to an artist colony called Ein Hod. They had a lot of art work hanging around and they had a museum with the largest antique music box collection in the country. We saw quite a few music boxes, player pianos and the first record player (Victrola). During the great Mount Carmel fire in Israel, people were worried the collection was going to be destroyed but lucky most of the items were able to be salvaged! The phonograph's wax album recorded the sound of the heat and it was very interesting to see and hear.

After we went to the artist colony, we headed to the sea of Galilee which is not only really fun to say but also has an awesome water and light show. I would recommend it to anyone coming to Israel.
Then, we went to some Roman ruins called Beit She'an. The Roman's thought that the city was made by their god of wine, Dionysus. The ruins have the most complete amphitheater in the entire country. The ruins had many complete arches and pillars.
Beit She'anBeit She'anBeit She'an

Note the temple to Dionysus at the top of the hill
There was only one problem with Biet She'an and that was the heat! It was amazingly hot out and my father made a good point by realizing that they had no refrigerator which means they would have had no cold water back then. The ruins are very full and one of the most complete ruins I have seen here.

Last, but not least, we went to a grotto with amazing marine caves right on the border with Lebanon. The sea was incredible and was so blue it looked (between you and me) a lot like a big chunk of blueberry jello! I might just have been thinking about that, though, because at the hotel breakfast they served jello.

So to warp it all up, we had a pretty cool trip.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Ein HodEin Hod
Ein Hod

At the Music Box Museum
Ein HodEin Hod
Ein Hod

These blosoms were all over.
TiberiusTiberius
Tiberius

Water/light show
Rosh HanikraRosh Hanikra
Rosh Hanikra

The Grotto
Beit She'anBeit She'an
Beit She'an

This Roman Theatre could seat 7000 people.
Beit She-anBeit She-an
Beit She-an

Playing a scene in the Roman Theatre with Abby


Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0307s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb