Shabbat Shalom


Advertisement
Israel's flag
Middle East » Israel » Jerusalem District » Jerusalem
December 15th 2007
Published: December 15th 2007
Edit Blog Post

So it has been two days since we've arrived in Jerusalem and we have seen a lot and we've already gone to my most favorite place (which I will tell you all about last). Yesterday we arrived in Jerusalem at 1am after Ryan kindly picked us up from the TelAviv airport in his rental car (which he rented for the weekend). As Nick told you, we got to see Jerusalem from a car point of view and at night and it was really eye-opening to the fact that we were actually in the Middle East and no longer in that little bubble, called the OC. We had arrived and after a long layover in France, where we got to experience a quick taste of Pari, we were taken to the Rosenbaums new humble abode. Oh and let me tell you, the driving here in Israel is not at all like the driving at home, there is a lot of craziness, honking, winding roads, tight streets, and random stops. Oh and there is also a yellow light that warns drivers that the light is going to turn green, which according to Ryan is so that drivers can start honking.

Anyways, back to why I'm writting this blog. Yesterday we took a road trip up north to visit the Galilee, where Jesus walked on water. We first stopped at Megiddo, a ruin of a city built by King Solomon, where the final battle of Armegeddon is to take place. It was our first ruin of Israel and it was really neat to look over the valley of Armegeddon and just imagine the war that took place there and see the land where Jesus lived/walked. The boys were very entertaining and they helped us find/discover pieces of ancient pottery. Everything was all good until it began to pour down rain and all the boys and I got soaked after running in the pouring rain from the cistern to our car. After Megiddo, we headed to where they believe is the actual mount of Beattitudes, where Jesus performed the sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5-7). It was very surreal and just an amazing experience to be able to put a picture to the name and location of Matthew 5. The mount is beautiful and it has a gorgeous view of the Galilee. After taking our photo ops, we made our way up the road to the church of the multiplications of the fishes and the loaves from when Jesus fed the 500 (John 6). It was a very peaceful yet wet trip. We tried to make it to Saint Peters house but we got there just a tad too late, so we were unable to tour his humble abode. In Israel the sun goes down at 4pm and most tourist places close at sundown. Our trip was very fun but also very exhausting.

The next day, we took the car out again to visit the Dead Sea and Masada. We had to go through the West Bank to get there and it was interesting to see all security measures that are used to protect the area. There is a barbed wire fence that borders the entire West Bank and at every entrance/exit point there are armed security that often randomly stops cars for investigation. We entered and exited the West Bank without any disturbances. We made our way to Masada, a mountain top fortress built by Herod the Great. It is a really neat place and it is seen as a monument of the pride of the Jewish people (if you don't know much about this location, then you should look it up on Wikipedia because it is really fascinating). After Masada we headed to my favorite place, the Dead Sea. We went to this sort of spa resort, where we got to float in the Dead Sea, cover ourselves in mud for exfoliation, and bathe in sulfur baths. It was so much fun and very relaxing. We all had a wonderful time and thanks to Sara, Nick and I were able to get the typical Dead Sea pictures (the one where you sit/float in the water and read a book and the one where you are covered in mud and kissing in front of the Sea). It seriously was the best place and if I could I would take that place, wrap it up and bring it back with me. It was an amazing day with lots of sun and it actually got quite warm which was nice since we were hanging out in our bathing suits and since the day before was cold and rainy. After our very relaxing visit, we made our way to the caves of Qumran (where the Dead Sea Scrolls were discovered) but, we were 5 minutes too late, 4:05pm. We looked around the souvenier shop and then went home. We got home fairly early in the evening and we were able to enjoy a very authentic Israeli meal of pita bread, hummus, and cucumber and tomato salad and I decided that I could live in Israel because the food is so yummy (like falafel and pita everything).

Well thats everything so far. Tomorrow we are going to get a tour by the Rosenbaums around the old city and we are gonna visit Ryan's school (Hebrew University). The Rosenbaums have been really great and we are having an amazing tme with them. It has been so great to spend so much time with them all again and to be reminded of why we love them so much. Ryan has been a great tour guide, he is so knowledgeable about everything here and so we are learning a lot and are reminded of what Godly people him and Sara are. It is so great to be here with people we love and to walk where Jesus walked.

Sorry this blog is so long, but Im sure that some of you will enjoy it (like our mothers). God Bless.
------Shalom, LIZ----------

Advertisement



21st December 2007

Mothers
I love the long blog! Thanks for all the details and for reminding me to how much we miss the Rosenbaums. Wrap them up along with the dead sea and bring them back with you. It sounds like your having a great trip, can't wait to talk to you when you get home.

Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0415s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb