Background: Formerly part of the Ottoman Empire, Iraq was occupied by Britain during the course of World War I; in 1920, it was declared a League of Nations mandate under UK administration. In stages over the next dozen years, Iraq attained its independence as a kingdom in 1932. A "republic" was proclaimed in 1958, but in actuality a series of military strongmen ruled the country, the latest was SADDAM Husayn. Territorial disputes with Iran led to an inconclusive and costly eight-year war (1980-88). In August 1990, Iraq seized Kuwait, but was expelled by US-led, UN coalition forces during the Gulf War of January-February 1991. Following Kuwait's liberation, the UN Security Council (UNSC) required Iraq to scrap all weapons of mass destruction and long-range missiles and to allow UN verification inspections. Continued Iraqi noncompliance with UNSC resolutions over a period of 12 years resulted in the US-led invasion of Iraq in March 2003 and the ouster of the SADDAM Husayn regime. Coalition forces remain in Iraq, helping to restore degraded infrastructure and facilitating the establishment of a freely elected government, while simultaneously dealing with a robust insurgency. The Coalition Provisional Authority transferred sovereignty to the Iraqi Interim Government (IG) in June 2004. Iraqis voted on 30 January 2005 to elect a 275-member Transitional National Assembly that will draft a permanent constitution and pave the way for new national elections at the end of 2005.
Photos from North
Blogs from North
Latest Blogs from North
- February 20th 2013 The Dawning of a Grander Day
by Words: 1640 Photos: 26
- February 16th 2013 Killing Me With Kindness
by Words: 1567 Photos: 26
- February 13th 2013 The Calm Within an Iraqi Storm
by Words: 1759 Photos: 26
- October 15th 2010 SEARCHING FOR THE REAL IRAQ, BUT FAILED..
by Words: 2254 Photos: 47
- October 13th 2010 EXPLORING THE BUSY, BOOMING CAPITAL
by Words: 2276 Photos: 100
- October 11th 2010 WELCOME TO KURDISTAN, IRAQ
by Words: 2357 Photos: 40
- March 19th 2010 A Terourist in Iraq
by Words: 1930 Photos: 27
- October 23rd 2009 The New Iraq
by Words: 3016 Photos: 33
- November 14th 2007 The Vacation Paradise Known as Iraq
by Words: 1949 Photos: 21
- June 2nd 2007 Welcome To Iraq, Are You Tourists or Terrorists?
by Words: 5555 Photos: 58