Background: Formerly part of the Ottoman Empire, Iraq was occupied by Britain during the course of World War I; in 1920, it was declared a League of Nations mandate under UK administration. In stages over the next dozen years, Iraq attained its independence as a kingdom in 1932. A "republic" was proclaimed in 1958, but in actuality a series of military strongmen ruled the country, the latest was SADDAM Husayn. Territorial disputes with Iran led to an inconclusive and costly eight-year war (1980-88). In August 1990, Iraq seized Kuwait, but was expelled by US-led, UN coalition forces during the Gulf War of January-February 1991. Following Kuwait's liberation, the UN Security Council (UNSC) required Iraq to scrap all weapons of mass destruction and long-range missiles and to allow UN verification inspections. Continued Iraqi noncompliance with UNSC resolutions over a period of 12 years resulted in the US-led invasion of Iraq in March 2003 and the ouster of the SADDAM Husayn regime. Coalition forces remain in Iraq, helping to restore degraded infrastructure and facilitating the establishment of a freely elected government, while simultaneously dealing with a robust insurgency. The Coalition Provisional Authority transferred sovereignty to the Iraqi Interim Government (IG) in June 2004. Iraqis voted on 30 January 2005 to elect a 275-member Transitional National Assembly that will draft a permanent constitution and pave the way for new national elections at the end of 2005.
Photos from Iraq
Blogs from Iraq
Latest Blogs from Iraq
- November 29th 2013 Stage 1: Turkey - Iraq
by Words: 3242 Photos: 16
- September 2nd 2013 Video: Hitch-hiking, Donkeys and Convoys: Travelling from Iran to Turkey through Iraqi Kurdistan
by Words: 42 Photos: 0
- September 1st 2013 Hitch-hiking, Donkeys and Convoys: Travelling from Iran to Turkey through Iraqi Kurdistan
by Words: 2490 Photos: 23
- June 24th 2013 The Gate of the Gods
by Words: 708 Photos: 8
- June 1st 2013 Faris Misbaha
by Words: 1666 Photos: 12
- March 25th 2013 In retrospect... Homemade bombs at 0-Dark-30.
by Words: 1288 Photos: 0
- March 25th 2013 In retrospect... Your call cannot be completed...
by Words: 444 Photos: 0
- March 25th 2013 In retrospect... The driver rushed the cordon...
by Words: 812 Photos: 0
- March 25th 2013 In retrospect... The last three days of Ramadan...
by Words: 655 Photos: 0
- February 20th 2013 The Dawning of a Grander Day
by Words: 1640 Photos: 26
- February 16th 2013 Killing Me With Kindness
by Words: 1567 Photos: 26
- February 13th 2013 The Calm Within an Iraqi Storm
by Words: 1759 Photos: 26
- February 13th 2013 In retrospect... The first elections in Baghdad, 2005
by Words: 1514 Photos: 0
- April 14th 2012 Iraq, exploring the ancient city of Babylon !
by Words: 2182 Photos: 48
- November 29th 2011 Iraq - Life in a Coalition Secure Compound
by Words: 1195 Photos: 3
- October 15th 2010 SEARCHING FOR THE REAL IRAQ, BUT FAILED..
by Words: 2254 Photos: 47
- October 13th 2010 EXPLORING THE BUSY, BOOMING CAPITAL
by Words: 2276 Photos: 100
- October 11th 2010 WELCOME TO KURDISTAN, IRAQ
by Words: 2357 Photos: 40
- March 19th 2010 A Terourist in Iraq
by Words: 1930 Photos: 27
- January 28th 2010 A summary of my first deployment
by Words: 2522 Photos: 39