Scandanavian Tour


Advertisement
Europe
September 12th 2017
Published: September 14th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Well the good weather couldn't last, we're back into rain and showers most every day. We continue primarily on the E45, but we're always looking for bike paths or other less traveled alternatives. We rode into the small town of Munkfors for supplies and stumbled on a fantastic rail trail, the klaralvsbanan.se/ne. Unfortunately we missed the beginning of the trail, but we had 2 great days before we had to leave it. Off the trail we wandered around trying to find a campground that night. We pulled into one place but it seemed to be deserted. We left and were getting ready to wild camp when we thought we would try one more time. The 'camp' is a local industry history museum with a number of cabins for rent. Turns out all were rented out for a wedding but the woman we talked to said if we didn't mind old, she might have something for us. A long walk across the grounds led us to an old bakery building. It was amazing with wood fired ovens and racks and tables. The building is still used for baking classes! What a fun night!!

Every day is an adventure! We peruse google maps each night searching for routes off the high way. The result of course we spend a good deal of time riding in circles! Like cycling down a dirt frontage road which slowly dissolved into an over grown logging road. The GPS said the road continued, but after bush whacking on foot we gave it up. Turning around we came upon some carpenters and I asked about the 'road'. They gave me a funny look and said there's a river down there! Indeed when we got back to the right road there was a bridge over a RIVER! But we have found some great rides on quiet dirt roads out in farm country. The main road isn't all bad though, one morning we were forced out onto the E45 having run out of bike path and alternates. We stopped at a roadside cafe for coffee and had a great time talking with the owner. His parents emigrated from Kurdistan when he was 10 years old, (maybe early to mid 30's now). An interesting fun guy!

Ok, after struggling with route finding for so long we learned of a great App, 'maps.me'. it's great since we don't have to be online. It down loads the maps for the area so we can access while ride. We road into Trollhatan today from Mellerud all on back roads or bike paths through some beautiful farm country. Of course it didn't help with Annas' flat tire in the rain!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0275s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb