Caves and Alpine Slides


Advertisement
Europe
July 20th 2014
Published: July 20th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Variety, whether it be ice cream or group activities, is key when it comes to holding students attention. Our hosts certainly know how to plan a variety of fun and interesting things for us to partake in!

We reconvened as a group on Sunday afternoon following a Saturday spent free with our host families. It sounds like there was a lot of fun had! Outdoor movies in the backyard, campouts, shopping, swimming, and even a student who went hiking in the Alps as I did.

Our first stop were the caves in the Swabian Alb. We ventured deep underground to look at the 20 million year old structure with its stalactites and stalagmites, constant temperature of 45 degrees, and complete ancient bear skeleton. The caves have been in use for thousands of years. They were a place of shelter from the elements and war to ancient peoples. They also became a dumping place for plague riddled corpses during the 30 years war (pleasant, I know). Today, they offer tourists and locals alike a look at a very cool place (literally).

From underground tours to above ground tracks, it doesn't get any more diametrically opposed than venturing out of the underground and straight to an alpine slide. We were racing a change in the weather as we arrived at the slide. The sleds fail to brake if the track is wet, so everyone was eager to get going. The course is 1.5km in length, and it takes about 1 minute for the fastest racers to complete the banked turns and drops. Smiles abounded as the brave flew and the timid puttered down the slope.

Then the rain started. Unfortunately, there were several who were committed to their run when it began. A breaking issue created a five cart pileup on turn three. Luckily, nobody was injured and the group was able to depart unscathed.

It was another fun day with the group to be sure! It is hard to believe that we are in the midst of our final days here in Haigerloch. Monday is a free day after school and our hip hop performance. On Tuesday, we are off to Europapark for some roller coaster action. Wednesday is another free afternoon for the kids, and Thursday is the farewell BBQ in the evening (didn't we JUST have the welcome BBQ?). Friday morning we say goodbye to our wonderful hosts and depart for Fussen. Our last week in Haigerloch? It's hard to believe that it's true!


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0469s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb