Lake Constance


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Baden-Württemberg » Konstanz
July 18th 2014
Published: July 18th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Mark another country off the board as "visited"! Today we ventured into Switzerland to marvel at the immensity and power of the Rheinfalls. These falls on the upper Rhine river allow 158,000 gallons of water to fall over 150 feet every second. This is the largest waterfall in Europe. We got an up close and personal view of the action. Our boat delivered us to a tall, rocky outcropping literally in the middle of the falls. Up the steep stairs we climbed to a viewing deck as the waters thundered around us. The spray was refreshing on this hot morning. The power of this tumbling water was mind boggling to behold.

Back to the bus, and it was on to the city of Konstanz for lunch and shopping. Most never made it beyond the mall. Those that did however, were rewarded with a charming town filled with cafes and shops. It was a great place to enjoy some free time.

On to the main attraction, swimming in Lake Constance! We got a hot tip on a cool under the tourist radar beach from one of the teachers at school, and it sure did pay off! It was a great spot! Not too crowded, a grassy area with trees to provide shade, and of course a beautiful lake to enjoy, complete with paddle boards and a ski dock to play on. On a hot, 90 degree day, this was just what the doctor ordered! We enjoyed the lake for almost three hours before it was time to depart for home.

Saturday is a free day with the families. There are lots of plans to swim, shop and relax. I will be heading to the Austrian Alps for some hiking!

We'll meet up again on Sunday for another fun group activity, caving and the alpine slide in the Swabian Alps!


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0276s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb