It's been a while


Advertisement
Europe
July 10th 2009
Published: July 10th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Since our last entry we have covered a lot of ground, from the French Riviera to the Cinque Terre, the Eiffel tower and the beaches of Normandy, here is a quick recap:

French Riviera, FR - Cannes, Nice and Monacco in 4 days. Some nice beaches and fancy clothes, apparently the economic crisis does not exist here!

Cinque Terre, IT - The "five villages" along the Italian Riviera provide one of the best walks around. We did 2 days of hiking in and around the towns, as well as a lot of sampling the amazing food and wine from the region.

Florence, IT - Stayed at a great campground with premade-up tents. Had a great view of the city for the fireworks on their Patron Saint's holidy which we happened to be there for. Went to the famous Uffizi Gallery and Galerie Accademia, home of "David."

Milan, IT - Fashion capital of the world, all we could do was look in the windows. Great Duomo though.

Chamonix, FR - Heart of the French Alps, and a balcony view of Mont Blanc, the Alps highest peak. Had a great couple of days hiking in the mountain air
Cannes - Film festival HQCannes - Film festival HQCannes - Film festival HQ

No red carpet for us though...
and taking in the many great views.

Blois, FR - Many great Chateau's, including the famous Chateau de Chombard where Francois I and Louise XIV spent some time. A shor tafternoon bike ride turned into a 40+km "Tour de Blois" as the Chateau was a little further then expected.

Paris, FR - City of lights! Had a great 4 days in Paris, saw the Arc de Triomphe, Notre Damne, the Pantheon and had many picnics and bottles of wine in front of the Eiffel Tower. Also saw some more great art at the Louvre and Orsay Museums, home of famous works of art like the Mona Lisa and Venus de Milo.

Mont Saint Michele, FR - Old hilltop castle home to some of the most extreme tides in the world....during the equinoxes.

Normandy, FR - Visited Juno beach, the Canadian landing sight on D-Day; as wel as Omaha beach and the American Military Cemitary. The story of the soldiers bravery lives on.

With only a couple weeks left I am excited about coming home but also sorry I will miss out on the rest of the trip. Tammy is due to arrive in less then a week and Hawley is very excited. We are in the capital of Europe today, heading to Bruges and Antwerp before meeting Tammy in Amsterdamn. Bring on the Belgian chocolate, fries, beer and waffles!

Salukes!
Joe and Hawley


Additional photos below
Photos: 69, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

MonacoMonaco
Monaco

Not much flat ground makes for some of the most expensive property in the world
One of many nice boatsOne of many nice boats
One of many nice boats

You know you've made it when your boat has a garage.
Bronze DavidBronze David
Bronze David

Not to be confused with the real David, and the David copy, yes they have 3.


Tot: 0.25s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0625s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb