207 days living out of a backpack


Advertisement
Europe
July 30th 2009
Published: July 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post


I have arrived back in Calgary after 207 days of living out of a backpack and the first thing I did was empty everything out and spread it all over the floor, which felt quite satisfying at the time! Tammy and Hawley are keeping the dream alive and are somewhere in Switzerland as I write this.

It is nice to be home but the reality of it is slowly sinking in, getting stuck in Calgary traffic, updating my resume, daytime television.....all things I didn't miss that's for sure but all in all I am glad to be back to see my friends and family and enjoy the rest of summer. This may be the last entry unless Hawley and Tammy take over the blog, if not watch for their photo's on facebook. Thanks to everyone who tuned in, I had a blast traveling over the last 7 months and enjoyed writing this blog and getting feedback from people.

Brussels, BE - The capital of Europe and the home of the EU. Enjoyed the frites (fries), beers, and waffles! Highlight of the city was the Manneken Pis (statue of a little boy peeing) that Brussels is know for, and the comic book museum, as Belgium has produced some classics like Tintin and everyone's little blue friends the Smurfs.

Bruges, BE - Despite what Colin Ferrell says about the city in the movie "In Bruges" we quite enjoyed this small mid evil looking town. Sometimes called the "Venice of the North," which is also what people call Amsterdam so it get's confusing, but there are great canals running through the small tourist town. Here we really enjoyed the famous chocolate (pralines) and the Kriek (cherry beer).

Amsterdam, NL - I found out that Amsterdam is just as crazy as you picture it, or even more so. Beautiful city with lots of history (Anne Frank house, Van Gogh Museum) and tourist attractions (Red Light District, Coffeeshops). It seems that anything goes here and the atmosphere is great. Highlights were the canal cruise at dusk and the "Heineken Experience."

Berlin, DE - From the world wars to the iron curtain there is no shortage of history here. Combine with that more great beer and comfort food and there is a winning combination, if only we had some decent weather! We walked along side the East Side Gallery (longest remaining section of the Berlin wall), over Hitlers bunker and through the Brandenburg gate. If Social Studies classes in High School were more like this I might have paid more attention!

Just realized I don't have the pictures from Germany or Prague, as they are still in the camera with Hawley, but all well. Prague was my only Eastern Europe city and I really enjoyed it. Prague castle, the Jewish quarter and a little local beer hall called the Golden Tiger were all great. I spent a day in Frankfurt and after a 12 hour delay to my flight (thanks Air Transat) I made it back in Calgary in one piece.

Take Care!
Joe




Additional photos below
Photos: 40, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Famous CoffeeshopFamous Coffeeshop
Famous Coffeeshop

A scene in Ocean's 12 was filmed in here


Tot: 0.431s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 55; dbt: 0.1297s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb