Prague, Cesky Krumlov & Vienna


Advertisement
Europe
August 2nd 2008
Published: August 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hi all,

Well it hasn't been long since we did our last blog but we had a spare day and we found a cheap internet cafe (50 cents per half hour) so we are making the most of it and doing another quick blog.

We are in Salzburg in Austria at the moment and it is 30 degrees each day so it's nice and warm. We will put up photos of Salzburg on another blog as we are going to the lakes tomorrow which are surrounded by the Austian Alps so wait for the next blog to see the awesome photos of that.

Prague - what can we say about Prague? It was like a postcard - beautiful. Just what you would expect it to be. Everywhere you looked there were beautiful buildings. Pity the photos never look as good as real life, but you'll get the picture from looking at them.

After Prague it was on to Cesky Krumlov. This has probably been our favourite place so far (except for Venlo, of course!) We did a four hour canoeing trip along the river there that had a few sets of rapids for us to go down. We decided to follow the locals down the roughest one and they were all going left, so we went left as well. Made sense. Massive stitch up. Hit the bottom, thought we were okay and then all of a sudden Zoe's legs and feet have smashed the rocks at the bottom and Dave's being dragged down the river but a canoe half full of water, smashing his feet on the bottom trying to stop it. Dave finally got the canoe under control (well, not floating off anyway) and along came Zoe the battler. Struggling to stand because of her bruised feet, she leant on the canoe for support which of course submerged it further under water and off it went down the river again along with all our gear. Dave was not impressed and Zoe had no idea what she'd done and was still struggling to stand up at this stage. Lucky some friendly locals came over and helped us after they'd finished laughing at us. Although we should say that we weren't the only ones to tip it over. We saw heaps of locals and foreigners tip their canoes there, none of them sunk as badly as ours did for some reason though. They also had all their gear tied in - not us, we had our life vests, oars, hats, thongs and big waterproof drum with cameras and bags in it floating down the river. Ahhh....such amateurs. Great fun though (except for the bruising the next day).

Then after that high we hit Vienna which, we must say, was a bit of a low after Cesky Krumlov. We've never said the words 'What are we gonna do now?' so many times in 3 days. At this point of the trip, we are starting to get over museums and galleries etc and we will only go to the really good ones or those that interest us from now on. So that limited our choices in Vienna. Spent a lot of time walking and quite a few hours relaxing and people watching in parks. I tell ya Mum and Dad J would have been proud of our efforts. We went to a free outdoor evening showing of an opera in this big square (where they showed the Euro Cup) which started at 9pm. We didn't have much to do and were so sick of walking so we went and
As if we needed any more waterAs if we needed any more waterAs if we needed any more water

Rained quite a bit in Prague - only downfall.
had dinner at the food markets there at about 6:30pm. Ended up waiting there for 2 1/2 hours for the opera to begin, only to find out it was in French so we couldn't understand a word. Lasted 1/2 an hour then we were off. I think we overtook Mum and Dad J's record of the earliest arrival at an event anyway.

So that's been our time over the last week and a half or so. Send us a message and let us know what you have all been up to (in the cold - ha ha!)

See yas later!

Dave and Zoe




Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Enjoying a coldie...Enjoying a coldie...
Enjoying a coldie...

...in the cold. Great beer garden with a fantastic view, had to rain though didn't it.
Underground barUnderground bar
Underground bar

Found this awesome bar which just kept going and going, through all these tunnels etc. Had at least 7 different drinking areas. Easy to get lost but so cool.
Cesky KrumlovCesky Krumlov
Cesky Krumlov

Great place!!
Enjoying a cruiseEnjoying a cruise
Enjoying a cruise

Looking happy at the moment...
The stitch upThe stitch up
The stitch up

Looks like nothing, so not true. Bloody locals set us up here and took us left. Should have gone the centre.
We survivedWe survived
We survived

Bruised feet, but who could care with a view like this.
Who has got the wider shoulders?Who has got the wider shoulders?
Who has got the wider shoulders?

Zoe's shoulders have never been this big before...embarrassing!
Vienna's swansVienna's swans
Vienna's swans

Dave, so close to getting attacked.
ElegantElegant
Elegant

Not much to do in Vienna (unless you liked the arts and museums) so we fed our faces in the park not once, but every day we were there.
A bit casualA bit casual
A bit casual

Zoe went to a concert of Mozart and Strauss' works which was terrific, but have a look at the people in the background. Dressed up much?
The best thing in ViennaThe best thing in Vienna
The best thing in Vienna

The concert Zoe went to was the best thing about her visit to Vienna...
The only place with footy onThe only place with footy on
The only place with footy on

Whilst Zoe listened to music, Dave drank alone at the bar and watched the footy.


3rd August 2008

looks like you 2 need some kayaking lessons from the old J's; pics again great, actually getting envious now, so look out!
3rd August 2008

beautiful
Prague looks amazing, i have always wanted to go there. Looks like you could just spend hours walking around the streets. I can't believe you drink everyday, i would be twice my weight, i can't wait to see you when you get back hahhaah. It will be summer as well, even funnier hahaha
6th August 2008

Oh Eleanor your so fine!!!
I love all the photos, it's looks awesome there. Especially love the kayaking story. Maybe you should of asked Lydia for some tips she's good at retaining shoes when capsised :). Im so so jealous. Enjoy fellas

Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0291s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb