Paris, Bruges, Brussels, Amsterdam, Venlo, Berlin, Prague


Advertisement
Europe
July 26th 2008
Published: July 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

At the LouvreAt the LouvreAt the Louvre

Hmmm...interesting, but 4 hours was definitely enough.
Hi all,

Well we have hit the road and are making our way around Western Europe. Been doing the hop on hop off thing with Busabout which has been good, but if we thought we were the only Aussies over here we have been sadly mistaken. Everybody is doing it.

Started off in Paris with Brendan for a couple of nights, but we are going back there with Deb and Bruce Cooper so there will be more of that later. Belgium was really nice, both Brussels and Belgium were great to walk around and the weather was great there so that helped.

Amsterdam was good to experience, anything goes pretty much. Dave thought it felt like a pirate town like those ones in the movies, a little out of control. Very sleazy. Was good to go to but probably will not rush back there any time soon. There are too many other good places in Europe.

The best part of the trip so far has been catching up with Leo´s cousins in Venlo, 2 hours south of Amsterdam. We were looked after way too much, especially by Marianne, Annie, Frans, Anime and Grandma. We were shown where
The Notre DameThe Notre DameThe Notre Dame

Brendan and Dave being hunchbacks. Zoe made them.
Leo's parents used to live after they were married and were treated to lunch and dinner in Venlo. Everyone was so friendly and welcoming, we felt like part of the family instantly. We loved how fighting fit Grandma was, almost ninety and drinking Dave and I under the table. You go Grandma! Was great to meet everyone and hopefully we will get to see them again one day in the future.

After the Netherlands we pushed on to Berlin. Lots of history there, it was interesting to read about Hitler, the Jews, the Berlin Wall etc. We found it hard to find places to go out there but found a couple of nice pubs to drink in. We have been drinking pretty much every day, not heaps but a few which isn't helping the éxtra baggage we have picked up along the way. Finally went for a run the other day - that will keep us going for a while. Too much other stuff to see and do (and eat).

Sorry it's been a while since we've done a blog but it's hard to find time to sit down and actually do a blog, let alone our washing.
Bike leader, DaveBike leader, DaveBike leader, Dave

Dave got a free t-shirt for being the back marker on a bike tour in Paris. His bag is already jammers as it is.
Thanks to all those great people for their comments. As usual, we love reading them. Stace Coops has definitely overtaken Di Foat as the leading comment maker, but Tania Knight, Niamh Duddy, Smell and both Mum J and Mum C are not too far behind. From your comments, it seems that most people were extremely impressed with our photo of the nudist on the beach. :-)

Well, better go. We've just been to Prague which we'll show you in our next blog. We're in Cesky Krumlov at the moment - going to hire some kayaks and take on the 'rapids' they have here. Should be hard work for Dave, he he (Brendan will know what we mean).

Okay, gotta love yas and leave yas.

See ya!

Love Zoe and Dave




Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

BrugesBruges
Bruges

Like a fairytale...very cool though.
Best beer in the worldBest beer in the world
Best beer in the world

Dave drinking the beer voted the best in the world, called Delirium. He still thinks Tooheys Extra Dry is better. This pub had over 2,400 beers to choose from. Zoe finally had a beer she liked.
Belgium is known for its chocolateBelgium is known for its chocolate
Belgium is known for its chocolate

Bought this off a little old granny - she loved it more than Zoe did.
Öur favourite mealÖur favourite meal
Öur favourite meal

3 euro for a huge bowl of pasta - delicious.
Excited about our nameExcited about our name
Excited about our name

It is everywhere in The Netherlands
Anyone for a good timeAnyone for a good time
Anyone for a good time

Yep, the women are right in your face, in their underwear ready to service you. Dave had a few tapping on their windows for him, even though Zoe was there.
Dave with the Hauzer clanDave with the Hauzer clan
Dave with the Hauzer clan

Grandma was definitely trying to get Dave drunk on the white wine, well we think.
Lunch with Marianne and AnnieLunch with Marianne and Annie
Lunch with Marianne and Annie

Two lovely ladies and one lucky young man.
More Hauzer clanMore Hauzer clan
More Hauzer clan

We stayed at Frans´ awesome restored farmhouse. Took us out to dinner as well - everÿone looked after us so well.
Relaxing at the farmhouseRelaxing at the farmhouse
Relaxing at the farmhouse

Ah, this is the life.
WindmillsWindmills
Windmills

Hired some bikes and finally found a windmill. Yay. Zoe looking sexy on the fence.
Canals in AmsterdamCanals in Amsterdam
Canals in Amsterdam

This is the nicest part of Amsterdam.
Big night outBig night out
Big night out

After a big night out in Amsterdam - thank God for the water.
Little sookLittle sook
Little sook

Freezing our asses off in Berlin lining up to see the Reichstag whose top dome was closed. Good one.
Brandenburg gatesBrandenburg gates
Brandenburg gates

Part of the dividing Berlin wall.
Jewish MemorialJewish Memorial
Jewish Memorial

Eerie feeling walking through here, you got disoriented fairly quickly. Meant to show you how the Jews felt.
Berlin WallBerlin Wall
Berlin Wall

We were here for hours reading it all about it.


3rd August 2008

I agree with di
Di i think you could be onto something there with the "not fussy" part. hahaha. I am just reading a book about the jews so that was interesting. I liked the humpback bit, i am glad zoe made you do it, best photo in the lot haha.

Tot: 0.199s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0352s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb