Minehead, Somerset, England to Chepstow, Wales


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Wales » Monmouthshire » Chepstow
June 27th 2008
Published: July 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Wales


Minehead, Somerset, England to Chepstow, Wales

Today we enter Wales! Up early, we were trying to avoid traffic on A 39, but I think we both are finally beginning to get used to driving on the left and the need to go slow and wait for larger vehicles to go ahead. This is the way things are done here.
The Cardiff area is very busy this weekend--some sort of auto race, so we called the Info Center in Chepstow and Liz was mort helpful. She suggested a B & B that has a field for caravans (that is our name in the UK). So we travel to "Sedbury House B&B" outside Chepstow. Lovely people welcome us to the camp area behind the B&B, complete with electricity and bath facilities. We even get a map to the town and begin walking. The weather is changeable, so we always take a raincoat with us.
We found our way to Chepstow and had a "pot of tea", before continuing to the info center. Liz was a delight, she put aside lots of helpful info for us.
After a walk through the town we began a tour of the Chepstow Castle. Lots of school children were here on an end of year school outing. The castle was the first stone castle built in Britain, prior most castles were made of wood.
We had our map and found the "Offa's Dyke Path". It seems that King Offa around 784 constructed his dyke along the cliff-top, an impressive 70 mile bank and ditch, that defined his boundary against the Celtic Welsh, he was tired of the enemy coming and taking what they wanted. The trail goes along the boundary of Wales for 177 miles. After our walk, we slowly managed to find our way back "home".
We have changed our outer clothing time and time again all day. If your don't like the weather...hang around a while, it will change.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 13; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0464s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb