Train from Chepstow to Cardiff


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Wales » Monmouthshire » Chepstow
June 28th 2008
Published: July 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

June 28, 2008, Saturday
Train from Chepstow to Cardiff

The walk to Chepstow is about 11/2 miles, so off we go to catch the train at 9:27. Cardiff is the official capital of Wales since 1955. From the train station we found our way to the Cardiff Castle. This fortress hides insides the vast walled yard and follows the original fort built by the Romans. Long after the Romans left, the Normans invaded and made their additions, a mote, a keep, towers of domestic buildings, etc. However it was in the late nineteenth century that major changes were made by one of the richest men in the world, the third marquis. He commissioned, his friend, William Burges, an architect and decorator to overhaul everything. A lavish fortune was spent on this upgrade. the marquis and his family spend about 5 weeks here a year. The interior was redone with its vivid colors and intricate designs, it screams..."This man has way too much money and awful taste!" Imagine ceilings made of 22k gold, etc. The visit to the castle was expensive and required a guided tour of the interior buildings. The video was not working and the audio program was "ho-hum". We did walk to the top of the tower for a nice view, Along the outside wall are animals figures carved in stone.
"The Goat Major" was our choice for lunch. Maureen had lamb chops with mint-- grilled, it was yummy. Bob enjoyed his sausages. Then we began a walk down to the bay area. This area has recently been developed and is a popular place. We just strolled along, enjoying the sights before returning to the train station.
One thing that is consistent is the weather...it is inconsistent. This morning we awoke at 6AM with heavy rain, by breakfast it was sunny, in town it was cloudy, sunny and some drizzle.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.596s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 40; qc: 195; dbt: 0.2469s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.5mb