Belfast... a shotgun wedding and the retreat back 'home'


Advertisement
Published: August 15th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Political mural in Belfast Political mural in Belfast Political mural in Belfast

The ever popular American President--who is now officially "brainless" thanks to Carl Rove!
So... having travelled through eastern europe, we decided to recouperate at casa quickfall, in the gloriously splendid and exotic west wycombe (if you don't get the joke, you should use google maps).
Andy and Lorna were perfect hosts, and we lounged around for several days, taking it easy, watching TV etc. They cooked a couple of good meals and it was great to have some quiet catch up time with them and get to know them both again... or something.

Spent a lovely anniversary dinner at Christine and Paul's... newly doomed cousin Ken made a showing after battling the flood-afflicted train system... for those that wander aimlessly through the days without a care in the world (that would be Dave, Ian, Nate, and a few others perhaps), this was our SECOND anniversary! We have been married for TWO years. Yike.

We flew over to Northern Ireland to attend Andrew's demise... err... Wedding... and to celebrate the joyous LIFELONG doom... errr... union that he has decided to enter into. If he hadn't thought it through properly beforehand he surely will be reading this!

We had 3 nights in Belfast before the day (more free accomadation; thanks to Lorna's sister
Giant's CausewayGiant's CausewayGiant's Causeway

Great formations of volcanic rock in North, Northern Ireland.
Maeve and boyfriend Kevin... Lorna's SISTER'S boyfriend that is...). Saw the sights (a few nice buildings and the infamous Shankhill and Falls roads... lots of political murals etc). It is quite a nice little quiet city, although still starkly divided... 😞

We moved on north to Limavady/Drumsurn/Dungiven for the wedding itself. Had a great time walking the hills, playing BBQ chef (I have the perfect T shirt at least), visiting giant's causeway, and drinking beer and stressing out Dave (the best man) and Andy (the doom, I mean groom) by talking about the impending speech and wedding respectively.

We're now back in Edinburgh staying with family and hopefully going to catch a few festival shows. If any of you are not already aware, Edinburgh is home to one of the world's largest arts festivals... look it up online... jazz festival, book festival, edinburgh festival, edinburgh fringe festival, storytelling festival etc... all at the same time.


Just discovered that this Sunday, Cardinals and Cubs game is the ESPN's Sunday Night's game. It is broadcast LIVE here in UK and YES...we WILL be staying up to watch with Joe Morgan commentating!! This is the weekend we overtake the
Giant's CausewayGiant's CausewayGiant's Causeway

The "stair" formations are also found in Scotland.
CUBS!!! It is almost September afterall...

Enjoy the pics...
L and B



Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

DrumsurnDrumsurn
Drumsurn

We walked up the big hill by Lorna's parent's house. Her house is on the left.
DrumsurnDrumsurn
Drumsurn

As soon as we finally got to the top of the hill, the rain came!
DrumsurnDrumsurn
Drumsurn

Some of the "locals" that aren't actually related to Lorna--but they are probably owned by a relative!
DrumsurnDrumsurn
Drumsurn

Lachlan being chef--aka taking over-- at the family BBQ.
Quickfall weddingQuickfall wedding
Quickfall wedding

Before the bride walks down...
Quickfall weddingQuickfall wedding
Quickfall wedding

Signing the wedding license--no forging this one like our priest suggested (after forgeting it)!!
Quickfall weddingQuickfall wedding
Quickfall wedding

The new Mr. and Mrs.
A Great Day for a GuinnessA Great Day for a Guinness
A Great Day for a Guinness

Can't be in N. Ireland and NOT have a Guinness!
The cab ride home--after that pint!The cab ride home--after that pint!
The cab ride home--after that pint!

Lachlan looking very cool just before the cab dropped us off at the wrong place. Iza very aptly said, "I've never seen this place in my life!" in her wonderful Polish accent.


15th August 2007

Cards vs Cubs
You know I had to add a comment re: that Cards comment! Who would've thought the Cards still have a chance but the NL central is so bad right now, its a crawl to the finish!
16th August 2007

Very Nice!
I can't decide which picture I like better, it's either the obviously intoxicated Lachlan sucking the soul out of the glass 'cause it looks like he got EVERYTHING else, or the obviously intoxicated Lachlan sporting the Rockstar Glasses.......I think I'm going to have to vote for the Rockstar. Anyone else want to vote on which one is better? Please justify your vote. CONGRATS ANDY AND LORNA!!!!!
18th August 2007

GO CUBS!!!!
HI guys! Hap and I will be at the game Sunday! We already took one from you! Lets hope for the sweep! The Cubs are still a few games ahead of the Cards! Love and Miss you!

Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 15; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0432s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb