Background: Great Britain, the dominant industrial and maritime power of the 19th century, played a leading role in developing parliamentary democracy and in advancing literature and science. At its zenith, the British Empire stretched over one-fourth of the earth's surface. The first half of the 20th century saw the UK's strength seriously depleted in two World Wars. The second half witnessed the dismantling of the Empire and the UK rebuilding itself into a modern and prosperous European nation. As one of five permanent members of the UN Security Council, a founding member of NATO, and of the Commonwealth, the UK pursues a global approach to foreign policy; it currently is weighing the degree of its integration with continental Europe. A member of the EU, it chose to remain outside the Economic and Monetary Union for the time being. Constitutional reform is also a significant issue in the UK. The Scottish Parliament, the National Assembly for Wales, and the Northern Ireland Assembly were established in 1999.
Photos from Northern Ireland
Blogs from Northern Ireland
Latest Blogs from Northern Ireland
- May 6th 2013 Hoogveen, sprookjesbossen, kliffen, stranden, zeevogels, schapen, kastelen en nog veel meer.....
by Words: 2064 Photos: 38
- April 4th 2013 Northern Ireland
by Words: 1007 Photos: 19
- December 27th 2012 An ounce of beauty and a measure of hate in a glass of whiskey
by Words: 574 Photos: 19
- August 31st 2012 Next adventure
by Words: 803 Photos: 0
- August 23rd 2012 Ballinasloe to Belfast
by Words: 312 Photos: 5
- August 16th 2012 The count down is on!!
by Words: 339 Photos: 0
- July 22nd 2012 We're off!!!
by Words: 325 Photos: 0
- July 8th 2012 Day 11: Hunting for murals in the rain
by Words: 624 Photos: 0
- July 6th 2012 Day 9: Giants Causeway, pt 2
by Words: 695 Photos: 8
- July 5th 2012 Day 8: Giants Causeway
by Words: 1441 Photos: 0
- July 3rd 2012 Grand Tour of Ireland 2012 Day 12: Giant's Causeway in Northern Ireland
by Words: 409 Photos: 27
- June 18th 2012 Belfast
by Words: 771 Photos: 51
- June 5th 2012 Epic weekend!
by Words: 132 Photos: 0
- June 2nd 2012 Another European adventure.
by Words: 691 Photos: 0
- May 7th 2012 Norn Iron
by Words: 4317 Photos: 35
- April 26th 2012 Yacht Breeze of Weymouth new travels in the UK
by Words: 2514 Photos: 8
- April 21st 2012 Finding Giants' at the causeway and a 350 year old bridge!
by Words: 492 Photos: 0
- April 20th 2012 What do you call an irishman whos been dead for 50 years? Peat!
by Words: 434 Photos: 0
- March 26th 2012 The Giant's of the Causeway
by Words: 505 Photos: 6
- March 18th 2012 A Brief but Titanic Visit to Belfast
by Words: 385 Photos: 9