Relaxing in Scotland


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Midlothian » Edinburgh
August 30th 2007
Published: August 30th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Edinburgh ViewEdinburgh ViewEdinburgh View

Lachlan enjoying the view from Blackford Hill to Salisbury Crags.
Here (Christine and Paul’s in Amersham) we sit in nervous trepidation… 3 days ‘til we leave for Egypt, and there is definitely an element within us that is wondering what the hell we’re doing! Ha ha ha. We’re looking forward to it… but the last few weeks of cushy, overfed living in Edinburgh has made us perhaps a little ‘too’ comfortable…?

These past weeks have had us enjoying the madness of the Edinburgh festival and fringe; officially the world’s largest arts festival, after having record tickets sales and performances this year. We saw a few dodgy shows such as ‘Orgasm the Musical’ (which sported the classic chorus of ‘Come baby come baby come baby baby come….’), and a live recital of the Phone Book (yes, that slab of paper with all the names, addresses and phone numbers in it), as well as a few more ‘creditable’ acts such as a walking theatre performance of MacBeth.

In between shows and the reclamation of Granddad’s overgrown garden, we also managed to fit in a very pleasant visit with Laura (‘the unknown sister of Lachlan’) and some of her children, in Duns, as well as a short trip down to Southerness (the Oddy Family’s ‘Holiday Retreat’). We were also visited by Brigid’s parents who we treated to an insider’s view of Edinburgh; sampling such traditional delights as Vegetable Samosa, Take Away Kebab, Battered and Fried Cheeseburger (oozing with bad things), British Curry and some of the more exotic fares such as Scotch Eggs, and a full-on proper Haggis meal.

We took a few nice long walks out at Mauldslie (Lachlan’s Mum’s house; in the MIDDLE OF NOWHERE!), nearly killing Doug and Mary with the rough terrain. Lachlan also got to throw himself off a very steep hill like he used to do as a child… or… rather, when he was a smaller child than he is now…

For those of you who remember Carol-with-an-E, you’ll be happy to hear that her wedding went beautifully; she looked fantastic (as did her new husband Blaikie; in full dress Marine attire - FYI… in the UK the Marines are equivalent to the US Green Berets). Lachlan was charged with providing some musical accompaniment on a borrowed Clarsach, which he dutifully murdered. In classical fashion, and thanks to the gift of some very strong beer (it was YOUR fault Carole!) he promptly proceeded to
Natural arch at SouthernessNatural arch at SouthernessNatural arch at Southerness

View into the Solway Firth
get *slightly* inebriated. Daveo... you would be proud… very proud. Sorry Carole…

We are missing out so much in these blogs. Our talks with Doug and Mary are testament to that; we never realised how many more funny tales of misadventure and misunderstanding we seem to be leaving off by mistake… we wish that you could all be over here to laugh at us in the flesh when these things happen (perhaps not all at once, but there are specific moments when we can easily envisage certain individuals being near and playing a hand…!).

BTW…
Lee’s Baby is almost 1 year old. 1 year. Lee has been a dad for 1 year and is no doubt JUST as retarded as always!

Enjoy the pics from the last month…there's a bunch! I lost some of my parent's visit though--deleted too fast before saving! 😞



Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Athena, Lachlan and AmeliaAthena, Lachlan and Amelia
Athena, Lachlan and Amelia

Taken after Lachlan rock climbed up the "natural arch".
Lachlan's mum and nieceLachlan's mum and niece
Lachlan's mum and niece

Granny Oddy and 8-month old Carmen.
Ariadne's new flatAriadne's new flat
Ariadne's new flat

Congrats to Ariadne and her boyfriend Jamie on their first year teaching! Hope you survive the kids!
Jamie's flatwarming partyJamie's flatwarming party
Jamie's flatwarming party

This was before the neighbors complained and shoes were thrown.
Merchiston Castle SchoolMerchiston Castle School
Merchiston Castle School

Carole and Blaikie's wedding. The pews were later cleared away to make the dance floor and a band played on the stage in front of the organ pipes--very cool!
Andrew Cherrie with daughter's backpackAndrew Cherrie with daughter's backpack
Andrew Cherrie with daughter's backpack

Carole sat us at a table with two other married couples with kids. Is that a hint Carole??? It won't work! :) Last time we saw friends from L's uni we were talking about graduation, parties and breakups...this time it was maternity leaves, insurance and housing rates...ummm...it's like the Talking Heads song--"how did I get here?"
Lachlan and BlaikieLachlan and Blaikie
Lachlan and Blaikie

Demonstrating the proper length of a kilt--"you must not see the knees!"
Penguin ParadePenguin Parade
Penguin Parade

Penguins in Edinburgh Zoo go on "Penguin Parade" everyday. They get to escape from their cage and follow the keepers around a circle. It's the best!
Penguin ParadePenguin Parade
Penguin Parade

Ann, this one's for you! I know you'll appreciate it...
What's wrong with this picture?What's wrong with this picture?
What's wrong with this picture?

Mauldslie cottage: the house where Lachlan grew up. Notice the American flag flying in the back garden...!
The sistersThe sisters
The sisters

Amelia, Alicia, Ariadne, L and the hungry Athena.
A haggis dinnerA haggis dinner
A haggis dinner

I've eaten haggis before, but never actually seen a whole cooked one! Here it is!! Tastes better than it looks--honest! :) Mashed turnips on one side, mashed potatoes on the other, with bacon-wrapped cumberland sausages on top. Good eating!
A haggis dinnerA haggis dinner
A haggis dinner

The insides of the sheep's stomach bag...feed me Seymour!


30th August 2007

Disgruntled
I am not please with any of you! You are soaking up all the fun and good times. First you two left for your trip round the world in 280days (give or take a week). Then because you left Mom and Dad leave for a week to visit. Leaving Jane and I with the dog, and me being the only one out of our family in this country. THAT WAS A LITTLE WEIRD! Next time you guys plan on leaving I want more notice in advance so I can save up and come with you. :-p -Disgruntled Family Member
3rd September 2007

Hey Guys! its great to see that your Mr. and Mrs. Delong out in Scotland visiting! i'm glad they are having fun, sorry Brendan. Summer winding down, Sep here, but the Cubs are still in First :) the upcoming 5 vs stl will be exciting for sure. good luck in Egypt, Paul and I visited "little egypt" aka southern IL.

Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 14; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0613s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb