A Day With Giants


Advertisement
Published: October 19th 2007
Edit Blog Post

I have now been in Northern Ireland for longer than a month and failed to see what is perhaps Northern Ireland's greatest tourist attraction, the Giants Causeway. Yesterday, the time had come to remedy that. I booked a ticket on a bus tour that ventured on the coastal highway along the Irish Sea and North Atlantic Ocean. We left Belfast about half past 9:00 a.m. and began meandering our way north.

Our first stop was at the Carrick-a-Rede rope bridge. This particular attraction makes for an interesting time as one crosses a bridge made from rope, as you probably figured out from the name, from the mainland to a small island at a height of approximately one hundred feet. The feeling on the bridge was quite unique as it swayed back and forth under human weight and the cross winds. Nevertheless, the views of the coast from the island were truly wonderful.

Next, we made a quick photo stop at Dunluce Castle. The remains of this particular castle are situated atop the cliffs along the North Atlantic. I was told that it is the most photographed castle in all of Ireland. From where I was standing I could see
Dunluce CastleDunluce CastleDunluce Castle

The origins of this particular marvel date back to the 15th and 16th centuries.
why. Its commanding position high above the ocean makes for a romantic, yet also ominous, sight.

Our final stop was of course the main attraction, the Giants Causeway. It seemed almost too perfect as the clouds broke at our arrival allowing the sun to cast its golden rays upon the rocky, green cliffs of the Irish coast. Irish legend says that Finn MacCool, an Irish giant, constructed the Causeway as a way to gain access to his arch-nemesis, Benandonner, who lived in Scotland. However, the wonders of mondern science have debunked legend and replaced it with facts stating that the fascinating rock formations that make up the causeway are the result volcanic activity that occured 60 million years ago. Perhaps science seeks truth, but the legend is far more fun.

We finally made our way back to Belfast around half seven. When I got back I had little time as I had to get to the bookshop for a blues concert performed by Shawn Jones. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I will put it simply; brilliant! Shawn is from Redlands, California and has recorded three albums. He is currently on a European tour and had just
Atop the CausewayAtop the CausewayAtop the Causeway

View of the North Atlantic from the cliffs above the Giants Causeway.
arrived from Amsterdam. If you ever have a chance to see him play in concert, acoustic in particular, make the effort to see him. It is certainly worth it.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

The Giant's CausewayThe Giant's Causeway
The Giant's Causeway

The architectural masterpiece of the legendary Finn MacCool.


Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 10; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0223s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb